Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Halfway River Grizzly Attack

Re: Halfway River Grizzly Attack

Wow what an bad experience to go through this story put shivers up my back thinking of the many stupid things I have done over my years when cleaning and packing out animals.

I am glad for the father and son that they came out of this ordeal alive ,there is still that big boar out there somewhere and if I was a hunter hunting this area I would be on high alert at all times ...
    Hunting Elk Is All About Finding Them ,If You Can't Find Them Keep Trying ..

Not sure if it's the same guys or not but I was told a very very similar story regarding a father and son attack with a downed elk and grizz and 2 cubs, but i thought it was in the nineties. My son played hockey with his and you could still see the scars on his head. You could tell when he told the story there was still and impact. The son (Jay) in this story shot the bear with his dad's 444 marlin. He also had done some guiding for some locals. Curious was he from FSJ?

W.
    Never Mind The Bullshit !!!!!

that's scary stuff. When we were at Pink Mtn. in October on my Mom's buffalo hunt, the native at the ranch said a gunshot is a bears dinner bell around there. When we went to get Gramps to start field dressing, I was doing a 360 view every minute at least! When I had to get bloody, my gun was no further than an arms length away, but most of the time I was keeping my eyes peeled!

Quote Originally Posted by luckynuts View Post
    Not sure if it's the same guys or not but I was told a very very similar story regarding a father and son attack with a downed elk and grizz and 2 cubs, but i thought it was in the nineties. My son played hockey with his and you could still see the scars on his head. You could tell when he told the story there was still and impact. The son (Jay) in this story shot the bear with his dad's 444 marlin. He also had done some guiding for some locals. Curious was he from FSJ?

W.
    The guys name is Jay from FSJ and yes he use to guide so probably the same guy but it did happen in 2004 or 2005.
    Hunting......Duh.

vortex hunter Guest

thats CRAZY I would have shart myself lol

Thanks for sharing that story. Goes to show how quickly it can happen. From now on I'm keeping my gun AT the kill site.

Quote Originally Posted by scope-bite View Post
    Thanks for sharing that story. Goes to show how quickly it can happen. From now on I'm keeping my gun AT the kill site.
    If you look at the pictures he was standing about 5 feet away from the two trees in the top center of the picture and his gun was leaning against the closer of the two trees. He had no time to grab anything it happened so fast.
    Hunting......Duh.

Scary story alright. Glad everything worked out okay for them...
    Live to Hunt...

Wink Re: Halfway River Grizzly Attack

What I do if I can in the past few years is have your buddy with you when you clean the animal out even two buddy's there if you can with the two of them standing guard with there rifles as you clean or other.

Sometimes weather permitting I leave my animal uncleaned and head back to camp to get help there might be 4 of us that will head back to the kill scene with all 4 rifles loaded when we approach the downed animal.

I know that not at all times you can have your buddies standing guard ,but if you can then do so it would help out big time if a bear came in on you when you where cleaning or sectioning the game animal out.
    Last edited by hunter1947; 01-15-2011 at 03:33 AM.
    Hunting Elk Is All About Finding Them ,If You Can't Find Them Keep Trying ..

Thanks for sharing squeege. I was wondering about that. I remember hearing about that story. I believe I was on my way back home from a Vancouver island elk hint when I heard this on the news.
    Again thanks for sharing.
    That's scary shit
    Trigger finger