Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone still hunt off an atc

Re: Anyone still hunt off an atc

They definitely have their place......too bad they don't make 'em anymore. I should never have sold it when I bought my first quad, there have been many times I wished I still had it.

I used to have an '84 Honda Big Red, 200 cc, shaft drive, hi-low trans. with reverse, it was the "cadillac" of ATC's in those days, $2500 new, and by far the best of the 3-wheelers that was ever made. Used it for 14 years, ran like a clock, never let me down, and cost me nothing except gas and oil, other than one bad day (see below)

Lost count of the number of moose it pulled out of the bush and swamps. Many times, while everyone else was wallowing around in the gumbo winching and cussing their quads out of mud-holes, I would just motor around them high and dry, with a big smile. Could skirt around the edges of marshes, meadows, swamps, and lakes, where quads would never dream of going. If it got stuck, which was very rarely, just got off, picked it up, and moved on. Didn't need trails thru the bush, it was so maneuverable you could wiggle it anywhere. While everyone else was guzzling 2-3 gallons of fuel, I'd only burn about 4 liters in a day. A jerry can of fuel was plenty for a week long trip. A breeze to load and off-load.......no ramps, ditches, ropes, pulleys, winches

On the down side, it could bite you bad.....unstable on side hills, dangerous coming down steep slopes, could get away on you at high speed down a road, and I had a real bad day with it flipping backwards going up a steep hill......closest I've ever come to death. 24 years later my back still reminds me of it. The trykes don't pack as much as a quad, nor are they as comfortable, that's for sure..........they sure were fun though.
    Last edited by Riverratz; 01-12-2011 at 01:44 PM. Reason: spelling

Speaking of older machines, my dad has an 82 110cc trailbike from honda. This thing is awesome, it has hi-lo range, super quiet and awesome on fuel. It has a nice little rack on the back and a extra fuel tank. Mint shape and great for cruising logging roads. Any members use these? Dad tells me these are rare because most bikes like this are 90cc.

I picked one up this year its a 1985 honda 200M Fun to ride and seems to get the job done. Seams great value to me since I don't use it all the time.

A narrow side-by-side that can still go down quad trails, but has a box in the back to load game into, would probably be the best way to go for a hunter...the Polaris RZR comes to mind. It's got plenty of power to be fun to ride just for the sake of riding as well...but I still like having handlebars instead of yet another steering wheel!
    B.C., PRE-NDP, formerly the best place to play! Cogito, ergo armatus sum!

Mine is a 85 big red 250es , I wont sell it because wife wants to start hunting for grouse with me so need another machine better suited for her but that i can use too.

I own two and wouldnt trade them for a quad anyday. 1985 Honda Big red and 1985 Honda 250SX. The stabilitly issue is what it is, if you know how to ride a bike then you can take them anywhere a quad goes and then some. Ride right underneath gates. If you get stuck or roll over simply pick it up and your off again. Mine have been off cliff faces, comealonged back up, kicked over 3 tries later. Watch your feet thou they love to eat em up
    Parker Hale .270
    Ruger 10/22
    Remington 870 tactical
    Remington 700 adl 7mmrm
    Boito .410 hiker
    Savage 111f 243
    Winchester mod70 3006
    Carbon express crossbow cx1

yeah i also had a 84 atc 250r twostroke went off a cliff with it in mission i was fine as i have lots of experince riding them and bail off it landed on an old rotten stump broke my fall 2hrs later got it to the road via tow rope, fired first kick bent my bars back rode away lucky! sold it shortly after that

Before I moved to BC 1 1/2 years ago I owned a 250 Big Red for 10 years. It pulled a lot of deer and a few moose out of the bush. It never left me stranded. If I got stuck, I could yard it around and drive out. I been thinking of getting another one.

Quote Originally Posted by knighthunter View Post
    Before I moved to BC 1 1/2 years ago I owned a 250 Big Red for 10 years. It pulled a lot of deer and a few moose out of the bush. It never left me stranded. If I got stuck, I could yard it around and drive out. I been thinking of getting another one.
    yup they are more monuverable in the thick stuff that for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Buck TraX View Post
    yup they are more monuverable in the thick stuff that for sure.
    Having that rear suspension makes a world of difference to the old backbone.