Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone still hunt off an atc

Anyone still hunt off an atc

Just wondering if anyone still uses these machines.I have read lots of post on new atvs 7,8,900cc efi engines and the size of a jeep! The thought of leaving a 5-10,000 machine sitting in the bush while i hunt would make me to nervous. Thinking of making the switch from three wheels four .Also the newer atvs seem to have reliability issues. my atc is 25 years old and tough as nails runs awsome.THEY DONT BUILDEM LIKE THEY USED TO!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Anyone still hunt off an atc

my dad has a 200atc and we take that and his quad out. It does pretty good in the snow actually. Its pretty nice except 4x4 is nice in mud. His runs really good too!

One word: Unstoppable!

I wonder if these new machines are going to be around in 25 years still runnin good !

Buck Trax, I've got a 2008 Suzuki KingQuad that I use for hunting sometimes, and I ride it close to where my stand will be, out of sight of the valley or clear cut, and park it. Don't leave the keys in it and you'll be fine...I've never had anyone even stop and look at it! It's hunting season, and the crooks know we're hiding out not far from our machines, carrying rifles! Not a prime time to be stealing for them, I'm thinking! The quads I've heard that were stolen were owned by campers that were way out on a lake or on a long hike in summer, and had left their machines unattended. I also have a 1" thick cable lock that I wrap around the quad and a tree when possible, or in camp I secure it to a vehicle.
    As far as reliability goes, friends and I have thousands of km. on our Suzukis, Yamahas, and Hondas, and no problems! The Hondas don't have the ability to positively lock the front diff so both wheels are powered, so many serious atv'ers bypass them, but you can't go wrong with Suzuki KingQuads with power steering or the Yamaha Grizzly...the power steering makes riding them back with a deer loaded on just a breeze, and safer!
    B.C., PRE-NDP, formerly the best place to play! Cogito, ergo armatus sum!

Quote Originally Posted by Buck TraX View Post
    I wonder if these new machines are going to be around in 25 years still runnin good !

GOOD luck with that one, everything these days has built in obsolescence....

Yep we run two. A Big Red and 200X.
    Unfortunately I think I will be selling them this year to pick up a quad so I double the kids around too and do some snow plowing.

SS

Quote Originally Posted by Singleshotneeded View Post
    Buck Trax, I've got a 2008 Suzuki KingQuad that I use for hunting sometimes, and I ride it close to where my stand will be, out of sight of the valley or clear cut, and park it. Don't leave the keys in it and you'll be fine...I've never had anyone even stop and look at it! It's hunting season, and the crooks know we're hiding out not far from our machines, carrying rifles! Not a prime time to be stealing for them, I'm thinking! The quads I've heard that were stolen were owned by campers that were way out on a lake or on a long hike in summer, and had left their machines unattended. I also have a 1" thick cable lock that I wrap around the quad and a tree when possible, or in camp I secure it to a vehicle.
    As far as reliability goes, friends and I have thousands of km. on our Suzukis, Yamahas, and Hondas, and no problems! The Hondas don't have the ability to positively lock the front diff so both wheels are powered, so many serious atv'ers bypass them, but you can't go wrong with Suzuki KingQuads with power steering or the Yamaha Grizzly...the power steering makes riding them back with a deer loaded on just a breeze, and safer!
    well i was looking for a big bear 98ish good old shaft driven quad still pretty tough as i remember a friend had one groing up beat the hell outa the thing .now 15 years later (its an 8 just needed some frontend stuff done but that it

There you go, Yamaha Big Bear! You can't go wrong with Yamahas or Suzukis. A buddy bought an Arctic Cat 700, and he breaks something almost every ride, and older Polarises have been known to have issues.
    The Big Bear has a solid rear axle so it'll be a bit rougher riding, but more stable when loaded down with a deer...
    B.C., PRE-NDP, formerly the best place to play! Cogito, ergo armatus sum!

I own two big reds and love em. My dad purchased one brand new in '82 that still runs like a top, in all the years it had some new rubber put on it and one chain sprocket. The other one i picked up about a year and a half ago and it runs like a top. Between those and my 110 trail bike i can't justify buying a quad at the moment.