Thread: Peace country wolf hunt

Re: Peace country wolf hunt

were are timberwolfes?only up north?

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    The biggest wolves are also the Alpha males
    Targeting the biggest may be counterproductive
    Quote Originally Posted by bcbrez View Post
    This is very true. If everyone goes out and targets the alpha male your wolf population will actually go up due to all other males in the pack being able to breed.
    I've never really looked in to this theory very much. Can anyone elaborate on this idea, or substantiate it at all??

By the way, this wolf hunt is a great idea. I'd like to see this done elsewhere in BC.

can a trapper join in on this or is it only for hunted wolves

Quote Originally Posted by hunter7413 View Post
    can a trapper join in on this or is it only for hunted wolves
    as far as i am aware trapped wolves are eligible just drop into back country and pay the entry fee. good luck
    Resident hunter and proud of it!

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayelkslayer View Post
    I've never really looked in to this theory very much. Can anyone elaborate on this idea, or substantiate it at all??

the theory is that in normal cirucumstances only the dominant male and female in a pack breed and if the dominant male or female is removed then the other members will breed and thus you have more wolves. however, as they have now found in yellowstone when wolves have a large prey base packs split and multiply at a much greater rate. the wolf population in bc is expanding at such a rate that it is pretty obvious that there is a lot more breeding going on than some people would have us believe.
    Resident hunter and proud of it!

Bridger,

Rich, please post some of the heaviest weights you get when it is all said and done, as well as the averages if you can. It is good data to have when I tell a guy he is full of $h!t after telling me about the 160 lb wolf that his second cousin's, daughter's, boyfriend's neighbour shot.
    I've taken 15 - 18 wolves in recent years (shot and trapped) and weighed the one's I was able to on my calf scale. Pups of the year ranged from 47 - 55 lbs, (two of them were on display at the BCWF banquet last year) some young wolves and females in the high 60's to low 80's weight range, mature males in the 90 lb range and only a couple in the 100 - 110 lb range. One the other day weighed 106 lbs, and I think is the biggest I've taken. I can believe rare northern male weights up to 125 lbs or so, with a full belly, but really have a hard time with the estimates of 150, 160 lbs etc.
    And to those who claim to have weighed them at that, show me a picture of it on the scale, and length measurements...
    It would be interesting for me to see if I have accidently only selectively harvested small wolves or if these are actually representative of true average sizes.

CLINT
    Last edited by Whisky Creek; 01-11-2011 at 12:10 AM.
    Here's to the land of diamond hitches, packers and cooks, the Ol' Son$ofbitche$.......... Skook Davidson

Quote Originally Posted by bridger View Post
    the theory is that in normal cirucumstances only the dominant male and female in a pack breed and if the dominant male or female is removed then the other members will breed and thus you have more wolves. however, as they have now found in yellowstone when wolves have a large prey base packs split and multiply at a much greater rate. the wolf population in bc is expanding at such a rate that it is pretty obvious that there is a lot more breeding going on than some people would have us believe.
    I assumed that when the alpha male is lost from a pack that the next dominant male would move in to position quickly, plus there is still only one female doing the breeding. It just didn't seem logical to me that suddenly multiple males or pairs of wolves would start breeding and increase reproductive rates.
    Anyway, like you say, as populations increase, it would seem likely that packs are going to split and breeding will occur more often.

Quote Originally Posted by bridger View Post
    as far as i am aware trapped wolves are eligible just drop into back country and pay the entry fee. good luck
    Enter me and we'll pay you back in whiskey on the way down!
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by finngun View Post
    i never seen wolf in wild.so my question is...
    how easy is to see diff. betw. smaller wolf, and big coyote
    specially if animal is not close..?
    i know both are takers...and i like shoot big bad wolf
    oneday.. just..curiosity..thanks

when you see a wolf you'll know its a wolf. Its like seeing an Elk and thinking its a WT deer.

Kirby
    Huuked on foniks wurked fur me

Quote Originally Posted by StoneChaser
    Biggest problem with a debate on ethics is the simple fact that ethics are like underwear...everybody has 'em, but some are a little shittier than others