Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: meat run or quality meat[or bouth]

Re: meat run or quality meat[or bouth]

never ever ever would i shoot a fawn,shoot a fawn luck is gone!besides i can buy 25lbs of beef quite cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by steel_ram View Post
    If choosing between a doe and fawn, or a cow and a calf, always take the baby, otherwise your indirectly killing both anyways.
    I think that's in the regs. also.... I've only tagged one fawn in my 50 odd years of hunting, and you know it was absolutely terrible - and that's no bs.
    I've never done it again, now I always choose to pass on a doe with fawn(s) since that time.
    They'll never end hunting...may make it illegal, but they'll never really kill that way of life!

I think it all depends on time of year and sometimes the area hunted on how the meat will taste. This is what I have noticed over the years.
    Any size bull moose in August or early Sept will be great ,after mid Sept it is hit and miss on these guys. Sept bull elk are OK, but big bulls at the end of Oct are terrible. Unless I thought it to be a trophy I would choose a dry cow elk any day over a bull this time of year. Every cow we have taken have been excellent no matter where or when. A farm area mule or whitetail buck is usually decent eating until the end of the season up here (peace) . I have shot big mule deer in the mountains and bush around here and the E.K. in late Nov that were not edible . A doe would have been a better meat choice on these hunts. Late Sept/early Oct bull caribou " NOT EDIBLE " what ever you do with it. Some sausage makers won't even allow it in there shops. Caribou in August are apperently OK (never tried one myself). As for shooting a fawn , or calf it would not be my personal choice. I would prefer to save my tag for something bigger. Gutting , skinning and processing all takes time. A bigger animal yeilds alot more meat with simular effort. These are just my personal opinions and I know some people may see it different than this.
    Mike

I'd go with a DECENT sized animal, but I'm not bothered about it having to have a huge rack. The biggest racks make for tougher meat, and a younger but still good-sized deer or moose are better eating and still have plenty of weight to them. Besides, I've already shot my trophies and gotten that out of my system, lol...
    B.C., PRE-NDP, formerly the best place to play! Cogito, ergo armatus sum!

my trophy is meat in the freezer. first one i see gets the lead pill unless i have a buddy that hasnt harvested a big game animal then he gets first chance.
    that being said if i see a cranker he is gonna get it, but i dont pass up on a animal cuz its rack is small.
    a bad day hunting is awwwwwwww who cares as long as your hunting.

Not to sure alot of guys would pass up a big racked buck or moose because they were worried the meat would be tough.
    I think its more the other way around. Guys pass up the small ones waiting for something with a little more meat on it.
    That being said there is nothing wrong with shooting a spike it all looks the same wrapped and in the freezer.

Meat in the freezer, organic .... job done !!

There wasn't anything wrong with the taste of this one. Very tender also.