Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: meat run or quality meat[or bouth]

Re: meat run or quality meat[or bouth]

He's asking if you'd rather have 100 lbs of big old muley buck to chew on, or a smaller quantity of better tablefare by shooting a spiker or a fawn.

I think.

you guys ever heard of burger and sausage even weiners taste good and we no what they are made of
    lord of the gut pile

Quote Originally Posted by ruger#1 View Post
    Jel please translate this for us.
    HAW

Almost spit my beer on the keyboard...
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

I can make most any meat taste good and be reasonably tender somehow, so I don't worry too much about shooting for quality. Besides, I've had some pretty old bucks end up being pretty tender and tasty anyway. If I was to ever get a local moose draw, I'd be dropping the first moose I saw, and wouldn't care about the size of the rack. Gilmores local "teenager" moose he got a few years back was what I consider a perfect eating moose. Big enough to hae plenty of meat, still young enough to be tender.

Another buddy got a draw on a local moose and shot a Legendary 2 pt moose! Didnt' even need the draw! It was super tender, like veal, but it wasn't much bigger than a huge body mule deer. They were able to gut it and load it whole into the truck by hand. Great quality meat, but not as much as it could have been, but it was the first and only moose he saw.

Sow grizz and three cubs showed up on the gutpile the next day.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

If your a trophy hunter then the tough meat but if your not a trophy hunter and you want meat that you know will be good for the table you did the right thing at least you did not waist a tag ,look at it that way..
    Hunting Elk Is All About Finding Them ,If You Can't Find Them Keep Trying ..

Out of the hundreds of big game animals I've shot there was only one that wasn't palatable.....so I would shoot the larger animal and not worry about the quality of the meat.

IF I ever get a moose LEH [like gates buddy] I will never shoot a spike fork bull moose....out of principle!!!

Yes, the smaller of the 3 does would be the better eating animal. I've seen pics on here where the guys have had 2 does draws and taken both, the Mother and the Yearling. Not a lot of meat, but the meat you get is pretty tasty!

I would take a nice young early season moose over some 50+ inch monster in late sept or oct, sure the racks look cool, but they taste like shit. same for deer get them before the rut, never had a bad elk.
    lovin the new mod 70 .308!

I shot a big blacktail early in the season last year( 3rd day) and it is some of the best meat we've had and lots of it. Also big bull moose before the rut are fat and excellent table fair. IMO
    kenny
    I love it when the seasons change.
    Fishing to Hunting.

If choosing between a doe and fawn, or a cow and a calf, always take the baby, otherwise your indirectly killing both anyways.