Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast

Thread: Crossbows , Talkin or Walkin

Re: Crossbows , Talkin or Walkin

Come on Clarke get real... this year while bow hunting one of my partners made a poor shot and hit a deer in the hind quarter. The broahead happened to cut the femoral artery and killed the deer in double quick time. Does that mean that bowhunters should try that shot on purpose? No of course not... neither should we take neck shots! DUH!!!!
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

With that reasonning, I assume that gun hunters should not take neck shots either? Small target, deer can jump and move at any time... Mind you I've seen a few deer that moved and got gutshot by rifle and bow, so in reality there are no absolutes.

I felt confident of the shot I was offered, and the peperoni is great! Would I take that shot again? In a similar situation, you bet! Could it go wrong, sure, but so could any shots taken a game...

Quote Originally Posted by The Hermit View Post
    Hey Kudo - In 1208 AD, Temujin became Great Khan of the Mongols, better known as Genghis Khan.

I recently red the Conn Iggulden Conqueror Series: Wolf of the Plains, Lord of the Bow, and Bones of the Hills. He has a new one out called in the series titled: Empire of Silver. These are terrific reads about the Khan and the conquests of his family! Highly recommend them!

Sounds good. I will look out those books - I simply can't read enough books on the subject - archery in all of it's forms absolutely fascinates me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"It is astonishing how much room there is in the air around a duck!"

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!- Rudyard Kipling

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers to do incredibly stupid things- AH (1941)- Harry Reid (aka Smeagle) 2012

This is where I come from (click)

Come on Clarke get real... this year while bow hunting one of my partners made a poor shot and hit a deer in the hind quarter. The broahead happened to cut the femoral artery and killed the deer in double quick time. Does that mean that bowhunters should try that shot on purpose? No of course not... neither should we take neck shots! DUH!!!!
    What was his punishment?
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    I'm guessing that deer isn't actually dead?
    Good thing it's dead, cause you wouldn't want it walking around Vancouver Island with a BOLT sticking out of it's neck. It might make the news and then everyone would be screaming poacher.
    With that reasonning, I assume that gun hunters should not take neck shots either? Small target, deer can jump and move at any time... Mind you I've seen a few deer that moved and got gutshot by rifle and bow, so in reality there are no absolutes.
    Troutseeker, it's that sort of understanding (completely ignorant of how a bullet or arrow kill) that supports Greybark's initial post. It isn't just about accuracy. It's about knowing when to shoot and when to let down. it's about spending time with other hunters who might have experience to share. I think there are lots of rifle hunters on here who would suggest boiler room is the shot with a rifle. A rifle is very different weapon and you are simply proving the point that bowhunters have maintained for such a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Onesock View Post
    Gatehouse-It would apperar the deer is in fact dead. Thats not the one a person should be concerned with.
    You sure it's dead?

Quote Originally Posted by GoatGuy View Post
    What was his punishment?

[QTE=J_T;832598]Good thing it's dead, cause you wouldn't want it walking around Vancouver Island with a BOLT sticking out of it's neck. It might make the news and then everyone would be screaming poacher.
    You mean the ones that were shot using TARGET points? Or are there some walking around with broadhead points stuck in thier throat?

A rifle is very different weapon and you are simply proving the point that bowhunters have maintained for such a long time.
    What point is that?
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

it's that sort of understanding (completely ignorant of how a bullet or arrow kill) that supports Greybark's initial post.
    you are simply proving the point that bowhunters have maintained for such a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by GoatGuy View Post
    What was his punishment?
    Glad you asked... his punishment was self imposed in that he felt terrible and agonized for days over having made such a shitty shot. To his credit as a result learned a lesson about rushing his shots and the need for regular practice.

Looks to me that some people here who ought to know better look at a picture of a dead deer and think wow great shot! Super! And my fear is that others might see that, read some drivel from a self professed "expert hunter" about archery neck shots being remotely ethical, and following Troutseeker's graphic example believes it is a good idea to go buy a crossbow and with only an hour's practice start flinging bolts at live game!

If Troutseeker actually photoshopped that deer and posted it up just to stir the pot I would be relieved and laugh at the intended humor. I would also thank him for drawing a graphic picture of what pisses the bowhunting community off most about guys that simply grab a crossbow and go hunting!

It isn't about the weapon its about ignorance and ethics!
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

It isn't about the weapon its about ignorance and ethics!
    Ah yes, ignorance and ethics. The two things that go hand in hand, and are so often preached by the goodie two shoes on the site...

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post

What point is that?
    You're kidding right?