Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My First Band

My First Band

What a day out at Ladner Marsh, They were a little tough to decoy but I have much to work on in terms of decoy placements and calls. However, some still came in, got three Teals today and my first Band! Stoked!

So many mallards moving after it became too dark to shoot responsibly. Nutz

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011-1-3.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	18.6 KB 
ID:	3192
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	First Band - Green Wing Teal.JPG 
Views:	146 
Size:	30.4 KB 
ID:	3193
    Last edited by Kevin So; 01-06-2011 at 12:28 AM.
    Do Good ...and forget about it..

2. Site Sponsor

Re: My First Band

I'm a little neeew; What makes the band so important?
    Glad ya got some ducks - everything out here is moving at night. I'm 'not a shot fired' for 6 straight outings now (not including my geese hunts).

Mr. Dean,

HuntingBC. 'Minnie' Mod.
    HUGE fan of taxidermy.
    My HBC Photo Gallery: http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showg...sername=mrdean

Congrats, whats the band say!? I'll have mine soon.
    270win Browning A-bolt
    12g Maverick 88 Field
    30-30 Marlin

Take the band in and you can find out it's age and where it was tagged and so on and so fourth.

Good job on the ducks!!!!

Well done I'm kind of jelous

I don't get why the band is cool. Other than the age and location...thats neat but guys always talk about getting a banded one like it's special. Pardon my ignorance, but i'm not a duck hunter...yet

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Dean View Post
    I'm a little neeew; What makes the band so important?
    Glad ya got some ducks - everything out here is moving at night. I'm 'not a shot fired' for 6 straight outings now (not including my geese hunts).
    A band is used to see how far a duck migrates, age it got harvested, they can see where the healthy population is being harvested, in other words it gives the parties responsible good stats on ducks and for duck hunting.

Hunters collect them becasue its duck jewellery, looks good on your duck calls... lol.. i got two last year, none this year, they are very hard to come by, you can also win cash if you find one thats green. Hope this helps
    M.Dean
    Real hunters have no friends! Alls we want from you is where you seen the big buck last year! We don't care about your dog or what you do for a living or how you bake a bloody pie from scratch! Where did you see the buck, Buddy! We don't watch Oprah or shower at a 10 day hunting camp, we eat pork and beans with the knife we gut Deer with,we blow our nose with our fingers and the Regs are used for Toilet Paper! Friends, Ha, isn't that a TV show for Girlie Men???

The band has an I.D number, 1-800# and the address for the reporting center in the states. Not a reward tag.

Reported it today and that teal was tagged in Alaska in August 2009. Those guys sure fly a long way! More information on it when I get the certificate.

Sure its interesting to know the history of that bird
    Do Good ...and forget about it..

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin So View Post
    The band has an I.D number, 1-800# and the address for the reporting center in the states. Not a reward tag.

Reported it today and that teal was tagged in Alaska in August 2009. Those guys sure fly a long way! More information on it when I get the certificate.

Sure its interesting to know the history of that bird
    The same thing is/was done for salmon heads; If ya caught a marked salmon, you dropped off the head @ a collection facility and you later got the 'what and where's'..... I've got no idea as to how many of those I submitted over all my years of fishing. The europhia that a band brings, muses me. People are willing to poach birds, it seems (Jeff Folie, sp), just to get a 'good looking' collection of them... It's just something that I don't understand, I guess.

Mr. Dean,

HuntingBC. 'Minnie' Mod.
    HUGE fan of taxidermy.
    My HBC Photo Gallery: http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showg...sername=mrdean

First band? That's cool

Way to go!
    Drinking rum before 10 a.m. does not mean you are an alcoholic, it means you are a pirate.