Thread: My 17th Birthday Hunt

My 17th Birthday Hunt

Hey guys,

Well Today is my birthday and I am now 17. Every year My dad and I hunt on my birthday and usually we get into some real big numbers.
    When I turned 14, we got a 2 man limit of puddlers.
    When I turned 15, we got a bunch of puddlers, a honker, and 2 snows.
    When I turned 16, we were just shy of a 2 man limit of mallards.

It was my pick on where to hunt and since it seems all of the puddlers have disappeared, I decided that we go on a goose hunt. So at 5:30 this morning, we were off to try our luck in the fields. We had the full bodies and blind set up by 7:30am.

The first bird of the day didnt show until 9am and was a lone single. He got suckered right into the pocket and down he went. We had another 3 large flocks fly by not interested in our location.

Then we decide to do a few adjustments to our blind. BAD TIMING! Right when we were almost finished changing a few things, a low and slow flock of honkers start working the field and flare when they see us standing out like hazard sings! #$%*!

(Here is more bad timing...) We then sat for HOURS freezing our ***s off without seeing a bird, and decide to wrap it up at 2pm. So I fetch up our truck and drive it into the field and start loading up the deeks... HONK HONK! A flock of geese is coming straight to our spot, and only half the deeks are out, a truck is right on the field, I'm in the truck bed, my dad is taking down the blind, we have gear lying in the field... GREAT ... the flock flares away, except for one that somehow decided to fly right into my dads gun and flew right over the truck and other gear lying around!! BOOM, SPLAT.

And that tallys up 2 geese for the day. And as one can see, we should have obviously had more, but we had some reeeeaaallly bad timing! Oh well, until next time!

Here's the first goose at 9am. Fricken' COLD!

Lots of swans around...

And here's the second goose at 2pm...

We were hoping for much more action!! But hey, I still had an awesome birthday!! Cant beat being able to hunt on your special day!

Longshot jr.
    Last edited by longshot; 01-03-2011 at 12:12 AM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: My 17th Birthday Hunt

Happy Birthday to you!! Mine was a couple days ago and let me tell yah I would have rather spent it hunting with my dad!! Your a lucky guy! Best to you this new year! and Congratulations on a good honker hunt! (2 is better than none!!)
    "The Bible says the end is coming soon, I hope I get my cabin built before then."

-Richard "Dick" Proenekke

"Homeboy, you're gonna wish one day
    You were sittin' on the gate of a truck by the lake
    With your high school flame on one side
    Ice cold beer on the other"

-Eric Church

happy birthday dude, you are lucky to have your birthday in the middle of the waterfowl season unlike me where mine is in june and all i get to do is spend a day at the range.
    "I have no vampire experience, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got there, it had turned back into my neighbor's Dog," Dwight Schrute.

Happy birthday Gio!

happy b day good way to spend the day with one you spent your first day with.

Fun way to spend a birthday to bad the geese did not cooperate.Happy birthday!

Quote Originally Posted by nano View Post
    Fun way to spend a birthday to bad the geese did not cooperate.Happy birthday!
    How is your broken ankle doing??

The swelling has gone down, but still cant put pressure on it. With all this free time I have been able to do a lot of scouting.

Gio! Happy Birthday, and what a PERFECT way to spend it, with family out hunting. It was a cold one for sure, but at least you didn't come home empty handed.

Happy Birthday G!, you have the worst luck in that field!