Thread: looking to buy a bow need to know if its any good?

looking to buy a bow need to know if its any good?

Hoyt bow compound, zr 100.
    26.5 inch draw, 60 pounds peak. d loop attached.

the person is asking 250 for it.
    they said the grip broke off so i wrapped it in paracord. thats the only thing wrong with it.
    is it any good to get?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: looking to buy a bow need to know if its any good?

assuming the draw length and poundage are appropriate for your shooting style, I would be concerned about the condition the limbs/cams/string are in. Hold the bow, draw it back a few times, assess the cams for dents/scores, inspect the string for frays etc. If you are happy then Im happy.
    ps. most of the cost in a used bow are its accessories - expect to add another 300 bux (cheap version of everything) for rest, sight, stabilizer, release, arrows, quiver
    oh, and D loops are free.

Quote Originally Posted by 604hunter View Post
    Hoyt bow compound, zr 100.
    26.5 inch draw, 60 pounds peak. d loop attached.

the person is asking 250 for it.
    they said the grip broke off so i wrapped it in paracord. thats the only thing wrong with it.
    is it any good to get?

Way to go 604, archery!! I'm not an expert when it comes to your bow, but Hoyt is a good name and unless you read somewhere that this bow is a "lemon", you should be okay. At $250 it should come with accessories: mechanical release, sight, arrow rest, and carbon arrows. A case and a quiver would be nice, but they're fairly cheap for entry level, and they'll do the job.

Then my friend, practice, practice and practice. The good news with archery is if you don't lose/break your arrows, it's a lot cheaper to practice. Bow Walker, Hunterbruce, Ddog and Bowzone_Mikey (there are more great archers here, but I can't remember their names at this minute) will all give you great advice.

Like I told you in your first thread, you don't need the best of everything to be able to go hunting. Practice will do more for you than any pricey equipment. I had a 25+ year old bow with a plastic tab for rest, finger shoot and I was able to hunt and be successful. But I did practice a lot.

Sorry to have to post on the negative, but

Yes, Hoyt is a good name, but you have to be very careful when buy used bows if you don't know what you are looking for. $250 may be too much $$$ if its a really old bow that needs a new string and cables, or just doesn't fit you right becuase the draw length is to long/short and can't be adjusted. And I'd be extremely leary of buying any bow that has had a part of it "broke off". The last thing you want is for this thing to blow up on you beacuse you didn't notice a cracked riser or limb(s) because it's been abused or dry fired.

If I were you I would either have someone who knows what they are talking about go with you to look at it, or steer cleer of buying a used bow until you do. Unfortunately, archery is an easy area for a person to take advantage rip off someone off that doesn't know what they are buying. And this happens with new bows as well. You need to buy from a reputable dealer unless you have someone with that knows you are getting what you need, or until you've had enough experience to tell for yourself.
    Last edited by Ron.C; 12-31-2010 at 07:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    Sorry to have to post on the negative, but

Yes, Hoyt is a good name, but you have to be very careful when buy used bows if you don't know what you are looking for. $250 may be too much $$$ if its a really old bow that needs a new string and cables, or just doesn't fit you right becuase the draw length is to long/short and can't be adjusted. And I'd be extremely leary of buying any bow that has had a part of it "broke off". The last thing you want is for this thing to blow up on you beacuse you didn't notice a cracked riser or limb(s) because it's been abused or dry fired.

If I were you I would either have someone who knows what they are talking about go with you to look at it, or steer cleer of buying a used bow until you do. Unfortunately, archery is an easy area for a person to take advantage rip off someone off that doesn't know what they are buying. And this happens with new bows as well. You need to buy from a reputable dealer unless you have someone with that knows you are getting what you need, or until you've had enough experience to tell for yourself.
    Couldn't agree more. The easiest way to lose interest in archery is if the gear doesn't fit you. 26.5"draw seem a bit short for a an adult. Alot of older bow required modules for adjusting draw length, are they still available and at what cost?? That 250 could cost you 500.00+ just to get shooting..
    Don't worry about a pandemic, stupidity is spreading way faster

Hoyt is a very good name but don't rush in. As Ron C said, wait until you have gained some knowledge or have someone with you who knows. There will be other opportunities when you are ready. The quoted price may be good but probably not a smokin deal.

Bow Walker Guest

Read carefully what Ron C is saying.

Why not take the bow into either Boorman's or Hardcore Archery? Get the guys in either place to check it out for you. Since we can't see (or handle) the bow, it'd be the smart thing to do. They'll tell you straight up whether or not it's a deal.

Too many things can be "wrong" with the bow and yet not be visible to someone with limited knowledge of what to look for. Get it checked out by a "professional".

thanks for the help. i am ask the guy to come who i am getting the bow from to come with me to boorman.. so they can look at it and see if there is anything wrong with it or not.
    and if he doesnt want to do that.. then i will wait for another time to get a bow when i know something about them..

my plan right now is to ask him that and also go to some archery ranges to practise and get to know about them.

I am gonna assume that this bow is actually an Ultrasport from about 2004 with the ZR100 limbs ..... New this bow was about 450 and was Hoyts lower end as the riser is a cast aluminuim design as opposed t machined risers. the problem with cast risers is its very easy to have a void inside the riser.

Hoyt hand grips of that era are wooden and either one peice hunter grips or 2 peice side plates ... and if ever taken off (very easy to do as they were screwed on) are easy to break by over tightening ... So I wouldnt worry about that aspect .... however a 7 year old cast bow ... that potentionally abused and warped .... I would take it to a shop before I pulled the trigger on that sale
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

Quote Originally Posted by Bow Walker View Post
    Read carefully what Ron C is saying.

Why not take the bow into either Boorman's or Hardcore Archery? Get the guys in either place to check it out for you. Since we can't see (or handle) the bow, it'd be the smart thing to do. They'll tell you straight up whether or not it's a deal.

Too many things can be "wrong" with the bow and yet not be visible to someone with limited knowledge of what to look for. Get it checked out by a "professional".
    As an owner of 3 Hoyt bows I must agree that this is EXCELLENT advice