Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bowhunting Grizzly Bears

Re: Bowhunting Grizzly Bears

Love grizzly hunting. Hope to bowhunt one nect time I get a draw. I've killed 2 with a rifle when I was 11. Its a rush, nothing really matches grizz hunting in the spring with lots of bears around. Here's a link to my Facebook page for pictures.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?id...240721&theater

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?id...240721&theater

Just curious if any of you bow hunters carry a sidearm/pistol, just in case, especially Grizzly hunting? I think i would feel a lot better about diving into the shit with anything that goes "pop".

Quote Originally Posted by BlackwaterMerc View Post
    Just curious if any of you bow hunters carry a sidearm/pistol, just in case, especially Grizzly hunting? I think i would feel a lot better about diving into the shit with anything that goes "pop".
    Serious?

Quote Originally Posted by BlackwaterMerc View Post
    Really? Pack a pistol?

Maybe if it was legal....

Victoia BC when not at work, otherwise up North

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    First, this is a bowhunting question. I'd love to hear all Griz hunting experiences, but am not interested in debating Grizzly bear defence guns, bear spray....... Those subjects have been discussed at great length before.

I have never hunted grizzly bears and only have limited experience with them as I live on VI. However, I hunt in the EK every year and had a run in with one three seasons back while hiking in for a mountain goat hunt, and was very close to a sow and three cubs in the Bowron Lakes Park in 2005.

I put and LEH in for an area that I've elk/deer hunted twice and have seen considerable grizzly sign both times as well as speaking with locals on Griz in the area. If I get drawn, I'd like to hunt with my bow.

I had a good discussion today with Hermit and he educated me on a couple Grizzly experiences he had personally and shared a few he got first hand from others. I thought I would throw this out there to the HBC bowhunting community and see what experiences those that have tried it can share. Has anyone shot a G bear with a bow and what type of reactions have bears you have. Was it aggressive, did it run, did you need to follow up with a gun shot?

My plan is to hang treestands in two areas I know the bears frequent and use a combination of predator/calf elk calls to try and call one in? "The Island Black bears seem to love the whining calf elk call" And if I see one at a distance that isn't comming in, maybe attempt a stalk??? I have called several black bears in like this and figured why not try it for a Griz. Just ideas at this point, but figured I'd throw it out there to see what experience other bowhunters have had.

So you never hunted Grizzly Bears. I can almost guarantee he will FO the second he gets shoot, then what ? Unless you have a Death wish, what is your plan for the inevitable search for a woundet Grizzly Bear which wants to finnish what you have started ?

Think this over, becouse the ha has dry up pronto when things get ugly.

Good Luck

* When the People fear the Government there is Tyranny, when the Government fears the people there is liberty.
    * Studies have shown, Vegetarians are poor providers !
    * We are told this is the Information age. Seems to me more like the missinfomation age !
    * Most always the soft spoken ones are the most deceiving and Dangerous !
    * The Law is no substitute for Morality !

Be safe and happy Trails !

Well,

unfortunately for me, I didn't get my draw. Luckily for me I live on Van Isle and will be leaving my muzzleloader home and go for my spring black bear with my bow.

Thanks very much for those who replied with helpful info, and all the PM's. The information will sure come in handy, whenever I do get that Griz Draw.

That video is nuts! Again, why are we not allowed to carry a side arm when out bow hunting? I did not get my grizz draw for this spring, but I am planning on going for a bruin this spring with my bow. I got one buddy with a grizz draw near Golden, and I'm hoping to be his back up shooter and videographer. Will post it if it goes well. Good luck to you man, get him!

Lol I don't think me meant to shoot the water. Things go from cool to oh s##t fast with Grizz. Hopefully I can get another one this fall.
    "Life is a sexually transmitted,terminal disease"

hmmmm if you do your homework and are proficiant with a bow it will do just fine..be the hunt of a lifetime....now the important part is a good backup with a reasonably BIG rifle..because if the bear decides to come rather than go..things happen REALLY fast a bow distances..and a second arrow wont be happening..

Steven