Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bowhunting Grizzly Bears

Re: Bowhunting Grizzly Bears

Apply for a tag on the coast in the fall. Tree stand it on a salmon bearing stream. Safe close shots.

Bow Walker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Onesock View Post
    Apply for a tag on the coast in the fall. Tree stand it on a salmon bearing stream. Safe close shots.
    Nothing is 'safe' or 'sure-thing' or 'slam-dunk' when it comes to grizzly bears. In a tree stand equates to being safe? Not in my book. If the bugger wants you, he/she will get you, period. Grizzlies, Polar bears, and Alaskan Browns are three species of bear that will "wind" you, "trail" you, kill you, and eat you. All "just because".

Make the first shot count Ron. You seldom get a second chance on the same bear. Count me in the line of guys that would think twice and then three times before going for a grizz. Kudos for going for one with a bow!

Quote Originally Posted by Onesock View Post
    Except when there is a sow with cubs feeding below you that won't leave. Could be a long night!
    I won't always be young, but I can be immature forever

Shall we say "safer."

Agree, there is no 100% safe situation. But lets be real for a second. Many of us who bow hunt elk in Griz country have called in Griz and other predators while bowhunting. Or have had or know someone first hand who has had a Griz steal a kill, or enter camp to see whats on the menu or just have a chance run in with one. Not all these situations end in a calm and enjoyable, albeit heart racing manner, but the vast majority do.

Bow Walker, I think your being bit over-dramatic. Sure all bears are capable of doing what you say, but how often does it really happen??? They are not mindless killing machines. If they were, I'm sure we'd have a forum here on HBC saluting those who never made it back from there hunt because the evil G Bears got em.

Or we'd here alot more stories such as the famous Rattlerer or Brambles and their amazing story.

Yes they are dangerous, unpredictable predators, and who knows for certain what the bear will do once hit by an arrow, but that in itself is the challenge here.

I would not think of doing this without a backup gun, which I have, and would have in the tree with me along with the large can of Counter Assault Bear Spray I always carry, yes even while in a treestand cause it does you no good in a pack on the ground.

I like the idea of sitting on a fish stream, but part of the reason I put in for 4-25 is that is where my last three fall trips were and I like the area and this is a reason to get out there in the spring, scout some new area and see it during a different time of year.

If I want a backup shooter, I have had offers for that as well. What I was fishing for was some first hand accounts from those who have shot or stalked Griz preferably with a bow so I could maybe learn something from their experiences. Or someone who has actually shot one with a bow or knows someones who did. I already have one source who has given me some info that has made me "re-think" my strategy a bit.
    Last edited by Ron.C; 12-29-2010 at 02:31 PM.

Bow Walker Guest

Well, maybe I am a bit of a Drama Queen () when it comes to grizz hunting. It's something that I doubt that I'd ever do.

By bringing up that bit of 'drama' I was hoping to help you at least be aware of some of the possibilities...and to prepare for them.

Looks like you are. Hope you get the draw.

Quote Originally Posted by Bow Walker View Post
    Nothing is 'safe' or 'sure-thing' or 'slam-dunk' when it comes to grizzly bears. In a tree stand equates to being safe? Not in my book. If the bugger wants you, he/she will get you, period. Grizzlies, Polar bears, and Alaskan Browns are three species of bear that will "wind" you, "trail" you, kill you, and eat you. All "just because".

Make the first shot count Ron. You seldom get a second chance on the same bear. Count me in the line of guys that would think twice and then three times before going for a grizz. Kudos for going for one with a bow!
    Hahaha, I've always found black bears to be the most unpredictable. Seems with grizzlies either they're coming your way or they're not. They seem to think a little more.

Ron C, have shot a few grizzlies close up. At a couple paces it doesn't matter what you're packing for fire power.
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by Bow Walker View Post

several years ago, a 1 hour drive south of my home, guys working on a cut line, were attacked by a Grizz, they climbed trees, one guy lived( in the tree the Grizz didn't climb)
    the guy up in the(other tree) died !, mauled to death by the Grizz, the Grizz climbed the tree, dragged him out to the ground, and fed on him!

and when you predator call, and hope to attract ( A ) Grizz, you just might attract 2 or 3,

when hunting Grizz you will be certain of NOTHING, until you are on your way home safe!
    sit quietly by the river,,,,,,

eventually the bodies of your enemies will come floating by,,,,

[quote=elkdom;820843]
    when you predator call, and hope to attract ( A ) Grizz, you just might attract 2 or 3,

quote]

Agree 100%. When I place my stands for a deer hunt, I often have my back to thick bush or set up on trails in thick cover. Not something I like to do when calling bears. It's not the ones that come running in that worry me as much as the ones that you don't know are coming in.
    One reason why I'll be select a stand locations with a decent field of view in all directions when hunting bears.

I've played around calling in black bears with distress calls & have also got a few young grizzers to come in. When I first started, I'd try it on a bear I'd already spotted to see the reaction.

I found out what I'd already heard - for the most part, bears have a short attention span, and you need to put some serious wind into your call to get one to really commit. Often when you slow down your calling, the bear loses interest quickly. Occasionaly though, they will come in like their ass is on fire and you gotta watch if call in a sow or a young bear - it can be tough to try to turn one that you don't want to shoot, without actually having to shoot it.

Also, if you're just blind calling, try to have two guys and set up where you have 360 degree views or as close to it as possible. Sometimes a bear will circle downwind, and other times they'll come right to the sound, so keep a good watch.

Sounds like you've got a fun hunt in the making. I've got my share of grizzly rugs and it's always exciting - my favorite hunt hands down, especially in the spring. I've never hunted with a bow but when I do put some time in and get comfortable enough, a grizzly will be on my list. I don't think a hunt could get any more exciting than that!