Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sheep/mountain boots question

WoodOx Guest

Sheep/mountain boots question

So in June I bought these: http://www.scarpa.com/scarpa.php SL M3 Backing Boot

Never experienced this before but at the outset of each hike, some big pain on the sides of my feet. Thinking they might be too small width wise.

I know you can get shoes stretched, but wondering if anyone has done this with mountain boots...?

I get the odd blister on the tips of my toes - anything related?

thnx

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Sheep/mountain boots question

I had my Meindl`s stretched and it worked great

Devilbear Guest

The boots are too small for you and stretching of boots made with the contemporary molded sole-base is not easy and can damage the boots. Somebody, fitted you incorrectly and I would return the boots and see what the store manager is willing to do about this.

I fitted and sold mountain boots in my final employment before retiring at the end of June, 2001 and the blisters are a totally unacceptable problem. Do, you live in Vancouver as I "might" be able to help you?

WoodOx Guest

nope, kelowna, thanks tho.
    ill head in and see what they can do. they did ask if i need a wide boot, which is offeredin thisvmodel, but since i never have used wide before i said no.

Devilbear Guest

I don't mean to "badmouth" your supplier, BUT, each and every mountain boot MUST be carefully fitted to the individual's feet with the same socks he/she will wear when using that boot and there is NO substitute for this level of experienced care in selling boots...or, packs.

I suspect that you might take a "hit" financially on these, but, we have all been there and this time, make certain that the boot is comfortable with your hunting socks and wear it, in the store, for a good half hour, best with a loaded pack and THEN see if it is comfortable.

Scarpa are among the finest boot makers still in existance and mine are super comfy and I wear them daily. If, you have to go a "little too big", that is much better than a bit too small and, if so, post here again and I will tell you how to deal with boots that are slightly oversize without using seven layers of socks! Good luck on it!

WoodOx Guest

thanks. ill use these this year with pain as cant afford a new pair right off unfort.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilbear View Post
    If, you have to go a "little too big", that is much better than a bit too small and, if so, post here again and I will tell you how to deal with boots that are slightly oversize without using seven layers of socks! Good luck on it!
    Devilbear I would appreciate if you would post this now please. Thanks in advance.
    Sorry for the hijack, but it would be good to know.

Bought some new Diotto's this yr and upgraded to one of the better heat-formed insoles....then they fit as you described. Went back to the original insole and they fit much better.

SSS
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

I've got the same boots, bought them 2 weeks ago, have about 20-30 hours hiking on them so far with no pain, I would say they fitted you badly.
    Make Your Own Luck

WoodOx Guest

thanks for the input guys
    went on another hike today. ive got roughly 50 hours so far. what I have noticed is that the pain does diminish after roughly 30 minutes.

blisters maybe will pass after more use/breaking in?