Thread: Christmas Goose!

Christmas Goose!

Hey Everyone!

My dad and I finally found a honker hide out! This morning we set out real early to make a real nice setup in the new field. We got to the field around 6am and had the luxury of driving into the field... SWEET! Great way to be lazy!

It was real hard to find our spot that we scouted a few days ago as it was pitch black and all we had were the truck headlights to see. Eventually we found our spot and we got at it setting up our full bodies. Next we set up my dads brand new guide series blind he got as a gift from my mom. After all was set up and the truck hidden, the rain became a DOWNPOUR! Great... we're gonna get soaked. Nope, we stayed dry as we covered the blind with a green tarp, which later will cause a problem.

There was not a goose in sight for the first 2 hours, and then out of nowhere.... we had about 250-300 geese working the field almost all at once coming in from every direction!!! Two problems, 1) the tarp we covered the blind with was too reflective and were causing the geese to land about 50 yards from us, 2) We had several flocks come 10 yards within our feet and we couldn't see them in time as you cant see through the tarp. By the time we saw them, they were 50 yards away .

Eventually, we picked out the closest bird on the ground (65 yards away) and both dad and I stood up and shot our target. 4 shots later, the goose finally fell!

If things went accoring to plan, we definately would have had our 10, but it turned out to be the only one of the day.. Hopefully our next outing wont require a damn tarp on the blind!!

In the end, we still had a great morning.

MERRY CHRISTMAS !!!

Longshot jr.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Christmas Goose!

Well, thats a hard lesson!! Congrats on the honker

Thanks Lorne,

Ya it was harsh watching the birds be shy from the tarp. It was also kinda sketchy taking a target that far, but it was a one-time-deal sorta thing.
    Last edited by longshot; 12-24-2010 at 09:58 PM.

Congrats on the goose! At least you got one for Christmas, and it is much easier on the fingers and thumbs to pluck a goose than ten Merry Christmas!

Good on you!

I'm just getting into the goose thing myself and fortunately, we secured a few for our x-mas dinner.... Everyone licked their plates CLEAN! What a nice change from turkey.

Like you, I'm struggling with a blind that's compounded by learning how to call; I've used some friends lay-outs and think that, 'that's the ticket' and should have 2 in this week from Cabellas. I really like how portable they are... The call problem is currently being addressed via several different tutorials. So far I'm liking the one from Primos, best; It seems to somehow have given me the foundation of the basics - It'll come.

Again, congrats on the goose and I hope more will come your way.
    Cheers!

Mr. Dean,

HuntingBC. 'Minnie' Mod.
    HUGE fan of taxidermy.
    My HBC Photo Gallery: http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showg...sername=mrdean