Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bow only season, why?

Re: Bow only season, why?

Yeah, I'm glad for the early season bow hunt. I don't even dare try it while rifle is on, and more for the fact that the animals get way spookier as it progresses. How you hunt game will always make a big difference no matter what, but I'll take an extended season with limited competition any day!

Now if all those truck/quad hunters with crossbows could be converted.....
    Last edited by Lee; 12-24-2010 at 03:20 PM. Reason: smilies
    Meat and eat first, track and rack second.
    Try to read your CORE book at least once a year.
    Plan for the best, prepare for the worst.
    Don't ASS U ME.

always heard great things about bow hunting and after i get my last crack on the youth season next year, i definitely plan on taking on bow hunting, might start with a crossbow but will make my way to compounds.
    "I have no vampire experience, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once, but by the time I got there, it had turned back into my neighbor's Dog," Dwight Schrute.

It's not about limiting competition so bow hunters can be more successful or to provide a quality bowhunting experience. Like the OP said there's not much crowding in most areas in BC and any bowhunter with a good set of legs can get a quality experience even in the middle of the GOS. It's not about getting people to buy more equipment or anyhting else like that.

It's all about opportunity, A couple weeks can be added before and after regular seasons to increase opportunity and potential days afield without worrying about an over-harvest.

Lightbulb Re: Bow only season, why?

The "REAL" reason Bow Hunters are allowed in the bush a week before us Rifle Hunters is for safety reasons! This way, if there is any Unstable Bears, Coyotes or Wolves etc running around, they'll eat the Bow Hunters, thus choking to death on the Arrows and saving the Valuable life of a Rifle Hunter! The Bow Only season is based on Statistic's taken from research gathered during Land Mine Clearing Test's in Rice Paddy's! For a few days before Grazing Cattle in the Paddy's, the weaker of the Village were made to walk back and forth through the Fields with a Long stick, poking it in the mud looking for Land Mines, it worked great! If a Cow was killed by a Land Mine it was quite a loss, but some guy with a stick, oh well, there's lots more where he came from! So,That my Friends, is why we get these select few to go into the woods before us with sticks each year!!!

Quote Originally Posted by chilcotin hillbilly View Post
    The bow season is a good way to entice people to spend more on gear as well as give the guys who want to take it up a notch extra time in the bush with out added pressure. Everyone has the same opportunity so no one better complain. I would not allow crossbows in the same season as they take no practise to become competent with them, unlike compound and traditional gear. Sight them in and your good for the season. Ask a real bow hunter how many arrows it takes to confidently shoot game at 50 yards, its alot. The answer is a lot, each and every year.

As for the origional post in this thread, Not sure exactly why but the two reason I can think of are to create opportunity and as a management tool.

I agree with you, but find it interesting that you say "everyone has the same opportunity so no one better complain"? Then go on to put down a cross bow hunter for taking advantage of that opportunity. I always find it sad at how some are quick to condemn crossbow hunters because they choose to use a type of bow that is easier to become proficent at. Maybe there is more to being a "real " bowhunter then your choice of bow. One may consitently hit the 10 ring at 50 yards with a compound, but be lousy woodsman/hunter.
    This type of attitude is what in my opinion will ultimately result in the loss of the bow season. Hunters moaning about how others choose to hunt because it is different from their own way.
    Last edited by Ron.C; 12-24-2010 at 01:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron.C View Post
    I agree with you, but find it interesting that you say "everyone has the same opportunity so no one better complain"? Then go on to put down a cross bow hunter for taking advantage of that opportunity. I always find it sad at how some are quick to condemn crossbow hunters because they choose to use a type of bow that is easier to become proficent at. Maybe there is more to being a "real " bowhunter then your choice of bow. One may consitently hit the 10 ring at 50 yards with a compound, but be lousy woodsman/hunter.
    This type of attitude is what in my opinion will ultimately result in the loss of the bow season. Hunters moaning about how others choose to hunt because it is different from their own way.
    Very well said and my sentiments exactly. To many hunters worry what other hunters use. Just get out and hunt and let everyone else do the same with whatever he/she may choose. It's all good.

As for the bow only season it is not needed here in BC, unlike some other places where it can get really crowded in the woods. Here in BC we have lots of space to get out of each others way. In fact I do most of my bowhunting during the firearm season and never had a problem or felt that I am disadvantaged. However, the bow only season is good as it creates opportunity and gets more people into hunting. It also adds variety to the sport. I am convinced that many hunters picked up a bow because of that special season.
    "Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"

The bow season is a good way to entice people to spend more on gear as well as give the guys who want to take it up a notch extra time in the bush with out added pressure. Everyone has the same opportunity so no one better complain. I would not allow crossbows in the same season as they take no practise to become competent with them, unlike compound and traditional gear. Sight them in and your good for the season. Ask a real bow hunter how many arrows it takes to confidently shoot game at 50 yards, its alot. The answer is a lot, each and every year.
    Opinions are like said above [assholes ]eveyone has one.I too belive comments like this can only ruin more open opportunities for all of us.Go into an archey shop and talk smak about x bows and see where it gets you as they sell and promote both types of archery hunting.BTW hillbilly have you ever hunted with a crossbow? Its not as easy as it sounds or looks as you have to be a great judge of distance so as not to injure a your game and make a great kill shot.I could say the same about rifle hunting not being fair ,come on get a life

Just to clarify - I was being sarcastic about the crossbow comment - I neither care nor have any interest in how you harvested to fill your freezer!

It always ends up being the same thing when the crossbow v. bow conversation starts up though. All that aside....

I'm sorry savage but

"..have you ever hunted with a crossbow? Its not as easy as it sounds or looks as you have to be a great judge of distance so as not to injure a your game and make a great kill shot."

Same could be said about using a bow, couldn't it? Hardly the argument to present - if you're a poor judge of range, and use a range finder to compensate for that - consider the ramifications in the xbow v. bow scenario. Not much really, but with a bow it's usually not sitting ready to shoot at the press of the trigger.

In defense of the xbow though - "...they take no practise to become competent with them, unlike compound and traditional gear." - How would you sight them in without some form of practice?

I use a bow because I enjoy it. If I owned a crossbow I'd probably use that too. I don't, so I'll poke harmless fun at someone who (hopefully) understands that getting off the fence to one side or the other still doesn't understand that at the end of the day you're still using a pointy stick to kill things with.

Are you less of a hunter if you use a round rock v. an oval rock to successfully 'bring home the bacon'?????

PS : poke :: poke : Ever notice that when the subject of bow v. xbow comes up it's always the xbow hunters that get their backs up about it???
    Last edited by Lee; 12-24-2010 at 03:19 PM.
    Meat and eat first, track and rack second.
    Try to read your CORE book at least once a year.
    Plan for the best, prepare for the worst.
    Don't ASS U ME.

I would not allow crossbows in the same season as they take no practise to become competent with them, unlike compound and traditional gear. Sight them in and your good for the season. Ask a real bow hunter how many arrows it takes to confidently shoot game at 50 yards, its alot. The answer is a lot, each and every year.
    This is a statement often heard and it is almost always made by people that never shot, let alone, hunted with a crossbow.

As a bowhunter I use traditional bows, compounds and crossbows. True, of three the crossbow is the easiest to learn, but still far from sighting in a be ready to go hunting. Besides, since when has the quality of hunting experience or what makes a better hunter dependent on the type of wepon that is chosen? I've a friend that only uses traditional bows and he kills every year several deer and some of them he shoots at up to 50 yards from his stand. He just laughs every time somebody says that crossbows have an advantage, and quite rightly so. Hunting success, as in killing game, does not depend on the weapon you chose but on how good you're at scouting and finding deer. The weapon is just a tool, it does not the hunting for you. If you do not know how to find deer then the most modern bow or gun will be useless to you. On the other hand if you're a good hunter and get close to deer it doesn't matter to them if you kill them with a traditional bow, compound or crossbow.

Don't worry so much what other hunters use, just go out hunt and enjoy it the way you want and let others do the same.
    "Wouldn’t it be wise for us to be more tolerant of each other and pick our battles with the ones that really threaten our way of life?"

For safety reasons I would hope. I hunt with a compound bow and rifle and enjoy them both as they are both challenging in their own way. Never shot a crossbow and don't see the need since hunting with a bow is far more challenging. I support the seperate seasons due largely to the fact that I have seen rifle hunters empty their clips and then say they saw something! Dam scarey if your a bow hunter in full camo. The more seasons the better.