Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Bow only season, why?

Bow only season, why?

When I began hunting last fall, I was really happy to have a bow only season. Why? Well, in Québec, where I'm from, every hunters had to wear blaze during open season. Bow hunters had crack at it without blaze for a week or so prior to the open season. On top of it, bow hunters were allowed to hunt doe. I don't remember if it were all season long or not.

It is only half way through the season this year that I realised it wasn't mandatory here in BC. Yet I still wore bright orange while searching for grouse. Because I didn't want to get shot. This is from fear ingrained in me from hunting back east.

I've had the pleasure to meet with Steeleco and he mentioned to me that in Ontario it was the same rules. He also told that the blaze was a necessity because the hunting season was so short that you had a lot of hunters hitting the woods at the same time.

In these places, a bow only season makes sense as there are way to many hunters congregating in the woods at the same time. A time for bow hunters to get closer to their games, without blaze, before a sea of riffles hit the forest isn't that ridiculous.

Although I was all in favour of a bow only season at first, I changed my mind because our season is so long and has no tidal wave of hunters engulfing the hunting grounds. They are spread out and a lot safer than anything on the east coast.

I don't intend to ever use a riffle to go hunting. I've managed to kill grouses, ptarmigans and I intend to get a deer next year.

It has been said over and over that the differences of opinions among the hunters can be more detrimental that groups that are against our sport. United we should stand!

I would like to get clarifications on the reasons behind the bow only season. Perhaps, it is us, bow hunters, who need to be more inclusive and take the first step.

Stéphane

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Bow only season, why?

I think it just extends the season for some people. They are giving hunters more oportunity and they realize the numbers harvested in the bow only season are far less than in rifle season. Also more money is spent by hunters who want to extend thier season and buy gear to do it. I wish they would give us a muzzleloader season also. By being bow only first it gives hunters a better chance to get close to animals before they get spooky. They havnt been shot at yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    Unions and beacon is what I fry the liver in with a coating of flower on the liver ,,I eat the tong,,the hart,, its very good eating......

Why not?

BH is harder, it allows me more opportunity.
    Plain and simple
    "One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted..." Jose Ortega y Gasset

It's about creating opportunity that would not otherwise exist under an any weapon season. Due to extremely low success rates the ministry is able to open additional opportunity without fear of a high harvest. I have a hard time with the idea that a bow season is not inclusive....there seems to be a perception out there that only certain "special" people can bowhunt. Since when was there anything stopping anyone who wants to from learning how to shoot a bow and taking advantage of these additional opportunities? It does take some hard work and a different skill set, but so does sheep hunting. These bow only opportunities are for everyone, just depends on whether or not you want to work to take advantage of them!

my .02 cents
    Chris
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Bow Walker Guest

The "Bow Only" season(s) - imho - were put in place because of the perception (and the reality) of the difficulty that bowhunters have in actually harvesting any big game.

As others have stated - it is extremely difficult to be successful when you hunt with a compound or a traditional bow. It is a bit less difficult when using a crossbow simply because of the extended range and speed of the crossbow bolt.

Hence, the "Bow Only" season so that we can get out there before the bush is filled gun hunters.

I don't get it, bowhunting is all about the challenge right? Shouldn't bow hunters be pushing for SHORTER seasons to make it harder?

Kirby
    Huuked on foniks wurked fur me

Quote Originally Posted by StoneChaser
    Biggest problem with a debate on ethics is the simple fact that ethics are like underwear...everybody has 'em, but some are a little shittier than others

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    I don't get it, bowhunting is all about the challenge right? Shouldn't bow hunters be pushing for SHORTER seasons to make it harder?

Kirby

Yes I agree...it's all about the challenge. Truth is, I would still bowhunt if there weren't any archery seasons/zones.

Having said that, I'm not against using the advantages Iv'e been given
    "One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted..." Jose Ortega y Gasset

Why not?? I admire you guys that have the skill and patience to elevate your game. I once had a very juicy offer from Ddog to take up the skill set.
    Damn most years I'm lucky if I can get under 200yards on game let alone 20.
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

I have never owned a bow and have never shot a bow nor do i intend to hunt with one

That being said i fully aggree with a bow only / youth season. I aggree with increased oppritunity. I think bow hunters need a bit before us rifle hunters get out there and i believe kids do too. Just because i dont bow hunt and dont got kids doesnt mean others cant have increased chance.

formost I love hunting in all forms and we need to stay togeather and start young so we stop being a dying breed.

The bow season is a good way to entice people to spend more on gear as well as give the guys who want to take it up a notch extra time in the bush with out added pressure. Everyone has the same opportunity so no one better complain. I would not allow crossbows in the same season as they take no practise to become competent with them, unlike compound and traditional gear. Sight them in and your good for the season. Ask a real bow hunter how many arrows it takes to confidently shoot game at 50 yards, its alot. The answer is a lot, each and every year.