Thread: Day two with Chessieguy and crew

Day two with Chessieguy and crew

Sorry guys a little late getting this posted, it is the season.

On Sunday the 19th, Field Marshall invited Chessieguy and his son Andrew to one of his honey holes for a mallard and possibly goose shoot.

We met at Field Marshal's house for 6:00am where his grand son James joined us for the morning as well. We loaded up the gear, the two dogs between two trucks, and we were on our way.

We set up the decoys by head lamp as the two dogs spend the better part of an hour playing "you can't catch me" with each other. Once the decoys were set up we cut down some willows and tall grass to make a makeshift blind to accommodate the extra people on this mornings shoot. Field Marshal and James hunker in the new blind facing the spread of goose decoys, Chessieguy, his son, and I are in the old-faithful with a couple dozen duck decoys set out around us. Once we get settled into the blinds the dogs settle down as well and turn from playing to hunting mode.

The morning starts off slow with a few singles coming in, then we have 3 ducks heading for the decoys, it's a drake and two hen mallards, I call out "take em!" my shot gun gets tangled in the camo net as I try to shoulder my gun and Chessieguy redeems himself from the last duck shoot we were on and takes a triple!

Not a lot of birds that morning working for us, but we managed 8 mallards before we called it a morning as Chessieguy and his son had to head back up Island to stay in the good books with the missus. We saw lots of geese that morning but none interested in what we had to offer.

A big thanks to Field Marshal for his hospitality and sharing a spot in the blind with some great people.

Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Day two with Chessieguy and crew

nice shoot and nice triple

"A rifle hunter's hunt is over at 200yrds, a bowhunter's hunt is just beginning at 200yrds."

"Train Hard, Hunt Easy."

"A bow hunter in a week will learn what a rifle hunter learns in a lifetime."- Fred Bear

Re: Day two with Chessieguy and crew

It was a great day indeed...big thank you to both Marc and to Field Marshal for their great hospitality and entertaining banter in the blinds...That is as much fun as the hunt sometimes.
    Andrew had a blast, school has kept him quite busy so having the chance to get out was excellent.

The triple was a welcome sight after some less than stellar shooting in previous outings, its great to be able to redeem oneself.

Some duck and Goose on the Christmas table will be a nice addition to the fare.
    Member of:
    BC Wildlife Federation
    Delta Waterfowl
    Ducks Unlimited