Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wolves can be hazardous to your Hounds!!

Re: Wolves can be hazardous to your Hounds!!

i own a wolf hybrid and can't bring myself to shoot wolves.if yhey posed an immediate threat i would , but other wise no. this is my baby, and gaurdian twice.
    Last edited by wsm; 02-16-2007 at 09:46 PM.

I hope those wolves get what they deserve. Its sad to see dogs being teared up by wolves.
    Si vis pacem para bellum
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by steel_ram
    I bet blackbears eating deer fawns has more effect on blacktail recovery on V.I. The Island is loused with them. I also know that a lot of cat hunters run cats, tree them and then walk away after taking pictures. Why not wack every cougar you legally can if your that concerned about deer recovery instead of educating them.
    Wolf control programs are very important to managing our game populations in bc as you well know. But I think i misunderstood you.....educate wolves/cougars? I think a bullet is the best education a wolf can get. As for cougars and guys treeing them without killing....I'm not much of a cougar hunter but I know guys that do and I think pursuit only is invaluable in training their houndss isn't it? The only good wolf is a dead wolf!!!!!
    It'd look better on "my" wall!!

Quote Originally Posted by wsm
    i own a wolf hybrid and can't bring myself to shoot wolves.if yhey posed an immediate threat i would , but other wise no. this is my baby, and gaurdian twice.
    Nice lookin pup bud...hope he wears lots of colour ( red is best) when your out in the field?
    It'd look better on "my" wall!!

Quote Originally Posted by SAVAGE300
    Hey murder if you see dogs out running deer, shoot it! a dog can and will outlast a deer in the chase
    Not your job, and you don't know the full story behind it...could be a hunting dog owned by a fellow hunter.

I tell yah If someone shot one of my dogs...The shooter/poacher would regret it.

Also regarding Red vests...IMHO switch to Orange, Red disappears in the dark brush, and if someone is colour blind they will only see a dark shape.

And for the record Island developers/logging companies are more of a threat to our Deer population then wolves are, but if one is so worried then leave the red riding hood cap at home.
    Cheers!
    C.
    ----

Only an officer is allowed to shoot a domestic dog chasing wild game if he determines that it is threat to it (dont take my word for it, Look it up!). And secondly most deer will out run and out distance a domestic dog unless the dog is bred for running.

If a hunter shoots someones dog be prepared for charges and haveing your hunting liscence taken away .

I find that there are far to many Hill Billy Redneck hunters in the woods that seem to have spent alot of time Sleeping with Miss Information .

section 78-79 of the wildlife act pertains to this

Dogs hunting game

78 A person commits an offence if the person causes or allows a dog to hunt or pursue
    (a) wildlife or an endangered species or threatened species, or
    (b) game, except in accordance with the regulations.

Destruction of animals

79 (1) An officer may kill an animal, other than a domestic animal, that is at large and is likely to harm persons, property, wildlife or wildlife habitat.
    (2) An officer may kill a dog that is
    (a) at large in a wildlife management area, or
    (b) at large and harassing wildlife.
    (3) An officer may kill a cat at large where wildlife is usually found.

no where in the act does it say a hunter is allowed destroy a dog.
    this of course it is a differnt story if it is livestock that is being protected

i cant believe the attitudes of a few peoples replies, wolves are just as important species here than any other species of animal we have.
    if you see a dog chasing a deer shoot it? thats one of the worst things i have ever heard and you carry a firearm, thats whats scary.
    1 more thing, ever heard of the ol' saying believe none of what you hear and half of what you see? those are just pictures (sad ones i am sure)with one person that said wolf kill.
    personally i think wolves are beautiful and deserve just as much respect as any other animal in our province that we hunt.
    cheers..............ddog

Thanks Barracuda
    If you're going to find tracks you better make tracks!

wsm... Nice dog I have 2 Samoyeds...

Wow a few hotheads r talkin' smak.

I take the dogs hunting but they behave...So if they see a few does and maybe chase them for 50m (pretty sure they wouldn't) you'd shoot them ?

Maybe I have them out in the fall for bears and not deer...I have a 30m leash that they are usually on but more than anything I just like being outdoors.

Ya better be careful if U decide to shoot my dogs or maybe word your comments a little more clearly.

Oh and I would probably drop any Wolves I'd see only because there are so many same with Bears.

I dO BELIEVE it use to be in the hunting guide back in the sixties that you should shoot a dog chasing deer.
    holy underwear