Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Found a dead swan

Re: Found a dead swan

So if we get rid of the monarchy would it be open season?

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    Is there any shortage of swans? Or are they just on the "no shoot" list because of thier protection in England?
    No shortage now. When I first started hunting the marsh back in the late '60's you didn't see them very often. Two days ago I saw a flock of about a 100 (or 80 or 110 or ?---it's a give or take number) birds flying off Westham.

I think the reason you can't shoot Swans is cuz there White! Most every other Bird has lots of different colors,Bang there Dead Ducks!!! Swans are White, so you have to leave them alone!!! I think it's a Racist thing from way back, if I do talk to Prince William next time I "Jet" over there I'll try to set this straight!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Farmer View Post
    So a swan died, big deal. They are no different than any other animal. Some will not survive the winter. Involving "save the animal" type groups will not help us as hunters. The press could get involved and hunting will be blamed again. Swans are not in danger of becoming extinct now, but every time someone reports a dead one, the lead shot and hunters get bad press. If I see a dead swan, I hope that the eagles clean it up before some 'do gooder' reports it, and a whole bunch of time and money is wasted on it. Maybe I am harsh but nature is cruel and I am not going to interfere if I see a sick swan or eagle or 'abandoned' seal pup. It will either live or die, and if it dies, some other animal will live off its carcass.
    You should do your research before posting, there is nothig "natural" about the high number of swans dying from lead poisining in the lower mainland. It has been a problem for a long time and it doesn't seem to be getting any better. My wife used to work for CWS tracking and documenting the birds. A part of her job was to seek out dead and dying birds to be euthanized...all do to lead poisining. They try to get them out of the the fields and sloughs before a scanveger eats them because they die of lead posining as well and so on and so on...

Quote Originally Posted by jml11 View Post
    You should do your research before posting, there is nothig "natural" about the high number of swans dying from lead poisining in the lower mainland. It has been a problem for a long time and it doesn't seem to be getting any better. My wife used to work for CWS tracking and documenting the birds. A part of her job was to seek out dead and dying birds to be euthanized...all do to lead poisining. They try to get them out of the the fields and sloughs before a scanveger eats them because they die of lead posining as well and so on and so on...
    I have seen one dead swan in this area in 30 years of hunting and wandering around the upper valley. A few years ago, there was reports of numerous swans dieing off around Abbotsford which was attributed to lead shot from a lake mud flat in Washington state. It didn't seem to be hurt the population as there seems to be more each year.

Quote Originally Posted by Farmer View Post
    I have seen one dead swan in this area in 30 years of hunting and wandering around the upper valley. A few years ago, there was reports of numerous swans dieing off around Abbotsford which was attributed to lead shot from a lake mud flat in Washington state. It didn't seem to be hurt the population as there seems to be more each year.
    When my wife was doing the work about 5 years ago, they would pick up an average of 4-5 birds every time out. I don't think they went everyday but it was a few times a week. Most came from the a couple of small lakes southwest end of Abbotsford but they did find them elsewhere, Agassiz was part of their route. I can't comment on what has happened since then, but having seen it with my own eyes back then I was pretty shocked as I had no idea it was like that. Hopefully the population is improving.

Judson and Laxton lakes. Judson is in the State side also. Shallow lakes that hold bass and crappy. They are trying to keep the swans away.

That oil spill in the gulf of Mexico apparently has set that whole gulf coast up for a major major killoff this winter - or so I have been told. Albeit this affects the Atlantic and central flyway birds moreso than ours.
    They'll never end hunting...may make it illegal, but they'll never really kill that way of life!

Don't be so quick to pull the trigger on lead as the main culprit either.There were many that were found that they ASSUMED were lead poisoning that in fact were killed by other causes such as fertilizers and illegal (now) pesticides.Not all of the dead ones were examined and blood work done probably due to cost.There were exhaustive studies done by DU and several states in the US when the ban was proposed back in the late sixties early seventy's.These studies showed that yes lead did kill but usually the weak,old and sick which died slowly.There was no magic # of pellets as suggested but every bird reacted differently to the ingestion.There are several pesticides that were found to be far more deadly than any lead could ever be.There are probably some of the senior guys who remember in the late seventies mass duck kills that were attributed to misuse of chemicals on several Richmond and Delta farms.The swan thing has been in and out of the news for decades but I agree on one thing I have never seen as many in the last 10 years and I guess that goes for bald eagles and other raptors,A good thing

Quote Originally Posted by branthunter View Post
    No shortage now. When I first started hunting the marsh back in the late '60's you didn't see them very often. Two days ago I saw a flock of about a 100 (or 80 or 110 or ?---it's a give or take number) birds flying off Westham.
    I saw that flock today in one of the fields. I was hoping they were snows....

there should be a swan LEH.
    "you know there are a lot of mountain bikers in the area" she looked at me weird when I said back to her " Thats fine, I'm not hunting mountain bikers today" Brambles