Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Homemade Geese

Re: Homemade Geese

Get some ham netting from www.stuffers.com, flip the breasts end for end, bone out the thighs, stick them in the middle with some bacon and garlic, insert in the netting, and voila! Cook as you would roast beef, aiming for med rare

Ian

Ok... so I took the time to snap some photos in the "backyard" this afternoon... here we go.

For painting I made cardboard templates with a few finishing nails poked through them, the nails acted as handles and the nail heads kept the template just far enough off the material so as to not let the cardboard ruin wet paint in other areas as I painted, this system worked quite well to paint quickly. I have uploaded a video of this process on youtube, link is as follows: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhdqR2cb6Fw

For paint I used flat plastic paint, the hardest color to find was the brown which in the end wasn't meant for plastic so I put a skim coat of the tan down first. I didn't lay down the paint really thick because I wanted it to dry quickly and I thought it would look better if it was slightly "mottled" looking.

I plan to stack these and paint the top leading edge quickly with the spray bomb to eliminate the white from above and over the summer I will do some airbrushing to add a little detail - Maybe add an eye and some feather shadows to the brown....

I contemplated feet for a while, I had thought welding rods but what I came up with I think is better. I bought some sheets of wire re-mesh for laying concrete, They cost about $12 at Home Depot and you can easily get 2doz feet out of a sheet. I made two types of feet, most I made an "H" shape so the top posts of the H slide into the coroplast and hold in fairly well. The wire remesh is about 1/8th" thick. The bottom posts stick into the ground, and there is a place to put your foot to help push into semi frozen ground or to put your hand to pull the silly out of the ground. I cut them and painted with a flat black oil based rust paint. The other style I made does not have two posts to go in the ground, just one. If you dont push it too far down the silly will move with the wind if you like. Images of "feet" as follows:

I got 1 Doz birds out of a 4x8 sheet, each dozen included 2 birds each of each of the 6 profiles shown below:

4 Doz Silhouettes in a bin look like this:

to be continued...

Continued...

And 30 Silhouettes look something like this:

Thanks to all especially Ian F... Any and all comments welcome!

They look excellent and I'm sure they'll work like a hot dam. Good idea on the stakes as well. Good luck! K

They look great man! I cut out 16 feeders out of a black 4x8 sheet of coroplast over a year ago... they have been sitting under my bed since then... I think you have inspired me to get painting!!!

May I sak what brand and colours you used for paint?? Looks like they would be great for fillers with our FFD's!

Great job, good luck hunting!!

Longshot jr.

I should also mention that I used 6mm coroplast for them, most of the stuff available at Home Depot etc is 4mm. It doesn't seem like much of a difference but it sure is. These are super sturdy.

As for paint, I can find out for you, I have the cans at work. I left the white parts the base coroplast white, the Khaki is a Kyrlon Camoflauge Ultra Flat. The Black was Flat Rustoleum for plastic and the only flat brown I could find easily was not specifically meant for plastic and was called old leather or something like that. I will get more specific on monday.
    Last edited by mungojeerie; 02-26-2011 at 10:49 PM.

Those sill's look great. Thanks for the close up on the six different patterns you used.

I see a summer project in there.

cwf
    'try not, do or do not, there is no try'-YODA

http://pdgf.pitapata.com/UT71m7.png

http://pdgf.pitapata.com/Tx3Zm7.png

They look great! What did you use to cut the cloroplast. I tried cutting some out last year but ended up ruining the material or making bad edges.

Quote Originally Posted by mungojeerie View Post
    Not really.... I thought about cutting more for snow next year though. Not sure if it would be worth it. I guess if I found there to be interest I could.... maybe I'll post pics after and see if there is any interest... could fund the purchase some full bodied deks or any one of the many many other thing Ive decided I want since getting into waterfowl this year Like.... a layout blind, another doz or two duck deks, a edge expedite lucky duck rapid flyer, a cpl edge expedite quiver feeder butts, a auto loader shotgun, waterfowl choke... the list goes on haha

Thanks for the tip on the tremclad and using the template is a good idea, I think I'll do the same and maybe just feather the edge in after the template painting is done.
    i would be interested in some of these!! let me know if u decide to go ahead. thanks

I like what you've done here.

Mr. Dean,

HuntingBC. 'Minnie' Mod.
    HUGE fan of taxidermy.
    My HBC Photo Gallery: http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showg...sername=mrdean