Interesting........

Mr. Dean,

HuntingBC. 'Minnie' Mod.
    HUGE fan of taxidermy.
    My HBC Photo Gallery: http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showg...sername=mrdean

Re: Homemade Geese

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Dean View Post
    Interesting........
    Yeah lost me? Just what is interesting about taking some time to find something?

Quote Originally Posted by Ian F. View Post
    Yeah lost me? Just what is interesting about taking some time to find something?
    Nothing.
    It's the dekes that got my brain cells pumping.

Mr. Dean,

HuntingBC. 'Minnie' Mod.
    HUGE fan of taxidermy.
    My HBC Photo Gallery: http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showg...sername=mrdean

Well I've decided to do some of the silhouettes that IanF posted patterns for. I ordered 4 4x8 sheets of 6mm coroplast today at work, should arrive tomorrow. Our designer took the body images and jammed as many of them as possible onto the sheet and wrote a simple cut path program out of it. Hopefully our CNC guy can cut them out tomorrow so we can paint them over the weekend in time for late goose opening.

I figure they'll rip out quick on the CNC and if I ever want to make more canada's or snows I can just have him rip out more.

now for the paint... coroplast isint the best for painting.. anyone have suggestions on types of paint? Im assuming just black, white and a type of taupe all in flat.

and how about stakes? I was thinking just welding rods slid into the corrugations with some sort of stopper to stop if from sliding down too far and maybe a leg to stop it from rotating 180 if the wind picks up.... any ideas? I figure some rotation should be good right?

I made up a bunch of profile goose feeder decoys several years ago out of the coroplast material, not as nice looking as the ones you are doing, however they have worked good as fillers in amongst my other decoys.

I drew what looked similar to a feeder on a piece of hardboard, cut it out, then used it to trace as many as I could get on a sheet of coroplast. I cut each one out with my jigsaw (rough edges), then I cut the pieces I wanted to remain white out of the hardboard goose, layed these pieces on top of each coroplast goose and one at a time spray painted flat black over the balance of the decoy. Tremclad flat black worked good and hasn't come off.

I made up a bunch of small pointed wood pieces with a slot in them to slide the decoy into. Can't say that worked out too well because they split frequently and have to be replaced. The whole process was a bit time consuming and although they aren't the best looking decoys I've ever seen, they were cheap and they have helped pull in the birds.

Personally I like your idea better. Have you thought about cutting out several hundred, selling them and letting people paint their own?

Quote Originally Posted by Cariboo Game Calls View Post
    Have you thought about cutting out several hundred, selling them and letting people paint their own?

Not really.... I thought about cutting more for snow next year though. Not sure if it would be worth it. I guess if I found there to be interest I could.... maybe I'll post pics after and see if there is any interest... could fund the purchase some full bodied deks or any one of the many many other thing Ive decided I want since getting into waterfowl this year Like.... a layout blind, another doz or two duck deks, a edge expedite lucky duck rapid flyer, a cpl edge expedite quiver feeder butts, a auto loader shotgun, waterfowl choke... the list goes on haha

Thanks for the tip on the tremclad and using the template is a good idea, I think I'll do the same and maybe just feather the edge in after the template painting is done.

I guess it's all about your cost to make them and how reasonable the end price would be which would dictate buyer interest. If you didn't have to do the painting etc, maybe you could sell the unfinished cut-outs at a good price and make a few bucks to buy some of that gear you would like. You might also be able to work out some trades.

Send me some pictures when you get them done and let me know the next time you plan on cutting out some because I might be interested in horse trading for a custom or vintage goose/duck call.

Check out my website below if you would like to see a bit of what I have:

http://www.cariboogamecalls.com

Yeah I would have to figure out cost.... the geese are all cut out, the 4 sheets yielded 48 silhouettes, I could have got more on there, but that was all I could fit in keeping the corrugations running vertical. I'm glad I went with the much more expensive 6mm board as opposed to 4mm board that was half the price, it's much sturdier.

I'm gonna go pick up some paint this weekend and start in on painting come Monday.

I'll figure out what our CNC guy will charge me to do it on his own time, didn't take that long and he now knows what it entails so I'll get a price from him and then post up some pics of the silhouettes along with prices, if there is enough interest from people I will order more sheets next time I order work stuff from that supplier to save on freight and then get em cut out.

Im definitely thinking about getting a bunch more cut for my self at some time, probaby a cpl dzn ducks and a wack more geese for snows... which would need little done to them.

Maybe even make the snows in two pcs so there is a horizontal piece that slats in or maybe incorporate a rag or kitchen catcher with it. Anyone have any ideas on that?

Sorry I just saw this tonight..

I don't worry abou the slot direction, in fact find it easier when they don't line up. I slightly sharpen the welding rods, put them on a flat table and shove em in! 2 per bird about an inch apart.

Paint, sand first, flat paints

Ian

So my first goose... not exactly a looker for a pic though as half its head was missing.... I positioned it so that it looks like it's head is still kinda attached Oh well. I was excited either way. Before and after pics. OMG its a pain in the ass to pluck these bad boys... easy but alot of work. So many feathers and so much down! I plucked this by hand without trying the scalding or parafin system. Which reminds me... anyone done the parafin thing? how do you do it that way?

This was taken the day after opening. We got two that day. Downed one on opening but it took us 10 min to get to where it went down in really tall grass and when we got there a coyote had already gotten to it... feathers everywhere and half the bird was gone, what was left was still steaming and had been dragged into some brush.

Silhouettes look good I think. I will post pics of them soon and pricing for the blanks if anyone is interested.