Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bird Bands???

Bird Bands???

How'd everyone do with waterfawl jewelery this year? Bands? Collars?

"A rifle hunter's hunt is over at 200yrds, a bowhunter's hunt is just beginning at 200yrds."

"Train Hard, Hunt Easy."

"A bow hunter in a week will learn what a rifle hunter learns in a lifetime."- Fred Bear

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Bird Bands???

My friend got a drake pintail with a band. It came in on its own and I said its all yours. Then I saw it had a band and had to act happy for him lol. The bird was tagged in August in alaska, so nothing too exciting.
    "Bears are like cops, never around when you need one, all ways around when you dont."

Tika T3 30/06
    Winchester sx3
    Remington 700 22-250
    Strother sx1
    Savage mark 2 22lr

Always a kicker when you let your buddy take the lone bird and it ends up with a band.

"A rifle hunter's hunt is over at 200yrds, a bowhunter's hunt is just beginning at 200yrds."

"Train Hard, Hunt Easy."

"A bow hunter in a week will learn what a rifle hunter learns in a lifetime."- Fred Bear

guest Guest

I shot a Drake Mallard almost 2 weeks ago with a band, shot several with bands years ago, whats the big deal, I always phone them in.

It's not like it is a 649 big prize winner ... although I wish it were.

CT

Alot of people like them, a little prize at the end of the day, interesting to see where it was banded. But I understand how some people don't care. I like them, call them in. I have one collar that I can say I shot purposily and no it wasn't walking around in the local park

"Train Hard, Hunt Easy."

I've shot about twice the # of birds as last year. got two last year and not one this year. what a rip off.
    "you know there are a lot of mountain bikers in the area" she looked at me weird when I said back to her " Thats fine, I'm not hunting mountain bikers today" Brambles

I always like getting a banded bird...sometimes you end up with an interesting surprise. Have a collection of 40+ bands from over the years, yes most of them become pretty typical (curly top "what's the big deal"), but for me finding the age of the bird and where it was banded can be cool. I shot a snow goose that was 7 years old, a brant that was 9 years old (both in 2-4) and a drake mallard in nanaimo that was 3 years old but banded in alberta of all places...not exactly the pacific flyway. Kinda makes you wonder where the hundreds of birds one shoots in between banded ones come from and how old can be... PS I once read about a honker some guy shot in the american midwest that was so old that they had to use forensic technology to read the numbers on the band because it was so worn down. The bird turned out to be 26 years old. Probably a lil chewy!

Make for some jerky hehe, I have a DU mag with a picture of a guy and a banded snow goose that was 16yrs old. It's interesting to see where they were banded and how old they are.

"Train Hard, Hunt Easy."

I got a 9 year old snow from russia last year and the band was quite worn out.
    "you know there are a lot of mountain bikers in the area" she looked at me weird when I said back to her " Thats fine, I'm not hunting mountain bikers today" Brambles

That'd be a pretty cool band to hang onto that's for sure. Haven't shot a banded snow yet

"Train Hard, Hunt Easy."