Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: "Hunting Must be Banned"

Re: "Hunting Must be Banned"

Quote Originally Posted by Spy View Post
    What I would like to see is.....

Active Hunting Area
    Beware
    http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/wld/documen...ngtonmarsh.pdf

I think you will find on the bank half of the above brochure is a notice of the recreational activities that go on in the Pitt Management area and listed is waterfowling

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy_Farmer View Post
    Yeah but your opinions wrong, so everyone here had to let you know that. Have a nice day.

Quote Originally Posted by 303Brit View Post
    http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/wld/documen...ngtonmarsh.pdf

I think you will find on the bank half of the above brochure is a notice of the recreational activities that go on in the Pitt Management area and listed is waterfowling

I have not seen or looked at the document http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/wld/documents/wldviewing/wvpittaddingtonmarsh.pdf[/URL] , Im sure other users also have no idea!
    A couple sign's couldn't hurt, its better then the article "hunting should be banned"
    I think your letter will be a good counter attack!

Quote Originally Posted by mungojeerie View Post
    The biggest problem with this letter is that everyone who has any knowledge of hunting whether a hunter or not will likely read the article and quietly think to them selves "crackpot!" But the general public at large are easily scared into believing things about topics they know nothing about, reading this they will think holy crap! there is no way we can go walk the dykes anymore... its just not safe there are a bunch of testosterone pumped shotgun yielding varmints out there. We've gotta put a stop to this... count my vote in!
    Hmmm quoting myself.. is that cool? lol

I also wanted to add that when I was in college (took Fish, Wildlife & Recreation at BCIT) I had a girlfriend who was dead set against hunting. She didnt know anything about it other than it was dangerous, guns were dangerous and it was cruel to slaughter innocent animals.

During 2nd or 3rd term we had to write a paper and do a presentation on some topic of our choice.

She chose (And I give her super credit) hunting as her topic. Why? because it was a topic that was part of our schooling and likely part of her future career and because she realized that though she was against it, she had no real hard ground to stand on as to why.

After her presentation she felt differently. She realized the importance of hunting as a tradition, and as a special kind of bonding between individuals. She learned the values of hunting as a means of wildlife management. She learned of the extensive man hours and funds made available to wildlife organizations, land conservation, and habitat improvement on behalf of hunters. She came to realize that an animal living freely in the wild and killed quickly and humanely by a hunter lives a much better life than an animal raised for slaughter. In the end she was still not fond of hunting but she was accepting and understanding of those who hunted, her approach was to each their own rather than "you evil testosterone filled shot gun yielding varmint"

She even got her core and pal.... had to laugh when I watched her during her practical exam. She got the 12ga and when the instructor asked her to unload the firearm make it safe and return it to the table she laid the gun sideways to look at it when she racked it, the shell came flying out and smoked her right in the eyebrow. The instructor was looking down at the time and she came out of there holding back tears as blood started to trickle down from her split eyebrow lol.
    Last edited by mungojeerie; 12-16-2010 at 12:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spy View Post
    What I would like to see is.....

Active Hunting Area

Beware
    You DO NOT want that sign.

BEWARE implies hunting is a dangerous, negative activity.

Much better to call the area a "multi use" area and list the various activities.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

a big thanks to clark and 303 for their time and help in how to write a letter and to dano for writing the letter. as for the rest of you.... it,s numbers of responses.... not hoping someone else will do it. in the time you guys spent replying on here you could have got her done.come on fella,s. get off your butt....dano i just read this and the bcwf will respond to this from region2 . don,t forget to include the facts about the clean ups and the duck house,s we,ve put up around the lower mainland as giving back..... let,s get going on responses.. as you don,t want to end up like richmond ,where 2 elderly ladies got it closed because no body was paying attention or waiting for some one else to do it...fowl

Quote Originally Posted by fowl language View Post
    a big thanks to clark and 303 for their time and help in how to write a letter and to dano for writing the letter. as for the rest of you.... it,s numbers of responses.... not hoping someone else will do it. in the time you guys spent replying on here you could have got her done.come on fella,s. get off your butt....dano i just read this and the bcwf will respond to this from region2 . don,t forget to include the facts about the clean ups and the duck house,s we,ve put up around the lower mainland as giving back..... let,s get going on responses.. as you don,t want to end up like richmond ,where 2 elderly ladies got it closed because no body was paying attention or waiting for some one else to do it...fowl
    Thanks Fowl, just trying to give a helping hand.

Yeah but your opinions wrong, so everyone here had to let you know that. Have a nice day.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    You DO NOT want that sign.

BEWARE implies hunting is a dangerous, negative activity.

Much better to call the area a "multi use" area and list the various activities.

x2 on that one.

This is a letter that Longshotz prepared and sent to the editor yesterday. He's asked me to post it 'cause his computer skills are about as good as his shooting skills: limited

The letter from M.S Muscat of Dec. 14 outlines a very unfortunate encounter. The subsequent highly emotional reaction was understandable.

That said, there are some issues here that need to be brought forth for purposes of clarity.

First and foremost, it was hunters that pioneered the environmental movement decades ago; perhaps before the author was born. The wildlife viewed today (including whatever the author sees) is there largely because hunters were, and still are, stewards of allthings environmental; not just hunted species.

This is a matter of documented record for any who do the research. I can speak of the entire area in question because I personally worked on several projects 35 years ago that ensured all wildlife can be enjoyed by future generations.

As to safety. ("being rained with shotgun pellets") This is, and always will be, a paramount fundamental with any hunter. If one were to statistically quantify this issue, I submit that death and grievous injury from any other outdoor sport or activity far and away outstrips hunting.

That this hunter did not fire when the author was spotted bears witness to this.

The author also mentions several other issues; dogs, comparison of buying meat at the supermarket, modern Haney and the changing demographics, as well as derogatory personal comments;"testosterone fired individuals". (Several women I know who hunt would be offended, and annoyed, that the author failed to discover women are now hunting in greater numbers than ever before, and shows no sign of slowing down anytime soon) and"shotgun wielding varmints".

I will do my best to address them.

Choosing to hunt with or without a dog has both merits and liabilities depending on the style of hunting. To chastise and/or assume all hunters (should) have dogs is incorrect. The author really needs to research this particular issue more thoroughly before passing comment.

Derogatory personal attack are something that we as a group have long since grown used to.

We have no trouble meeting those who have informed and objective evidence to support their position. Again the record will show this as fact.

I personally have sat in on committees in this regard.

Maple Ridge and Pitt Meadows council, are composed of fine people. If hunter non-hunter conflict is an issue, there are vehicles in place and groups like the BCWF, Delta Waterfowl and Ducks Unlimited who can offer immeasurable experience to educate and reach an amenable solution.

At any time a meeting can be arranged to discuss these issues.

Gregg Rogers
    Maple Ridge BC
    Drinking rum before 10 a.m. does not mean you are an alcoholic, it means you are a pirate.

What a well fact based educated rhetoric. It is always best to leave out the emotions and counteract with solid points.

Gregg, I thank you on behalf of all nature lovers!

Interesting side note Dr. Art said 2000 people died last year in Canada from food poisoning ,which they undoubtedly bought in a store ,probably not from roasted Mallard...