Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: "Hunting Must be Banned"

Re: "Hunting Must be Banned"

Here's a rough start for someone. Tailor it to the area in question as i am not from the area i can't get into to many specifics. but if anyone has them about the clean up or the mallard tunnels etc. feel free to use this as a base if you wish.

"
    Dear Editor;

I believe it is my responsibility to clarify a few of the misconceptions in the letter published on 14 Dec 2010 titled “Hunting must be banned”.

Firstly the writer talks about thinking that he/she would be shot by a hunter. When in their own writing the hunter noticed an unsafe condition and did not fire. This is exactly what is suppose to happen, if the shot in question is not shown to be a safe shot to and beyond the intended target it is not to be taken. There is no need to be speechless; the ethical hunter did what he/she is supposed to do in that situation. When you consider that according to Vital Statistics BC in 2002 deaths involving firearms = 9; deaths involving motor vehicles = 399. Firearms related deaths are significantly lower; I am not talking homicides (which generally are not committed with registered firearms)

Moving on to the shotgun shells, the picture only showed 1 shell, hunters are outdoor enthusiasts. We strive to leave the areas we hunt as good or better then the way we found them. Some local hunters in your area have even gone so far as to organize clean ups down at the marsh after hunting season is closed. Removing all sorts of garbage not just shotgun shells, but garbage left by other user groups of the area. The picture of the supposed carcass was merely a few feathers and remains of a bone or 2. For all anyone knows it’s the leftovers of a hawk or eagle kill.

As far as hunting with dogs, not all people hunt with dogs. Most hunters that hunt with out a dog ensure they have a means of recovery. Examples are hunting fields, using waders when hunting shallow ponds, boats, recovery poles, etc. Dogs are not a must for water fowling.

I believe that the dykes we initially created for 2 main purposes, 1 control the flow of water and prevent flooding; 2 create marsh and wetland habitat for animals. Not for people to walk on, this is a pleasantry of the efforts. A lot of the dykes were done in conjunction with Ducks Unlimited, which was founded by hunters and ecologists.

I believe that the modern generation would have far more respect and a better concept of ethics if more people did hunt. I prefer to provide an organic and healthy meat for my family. I choose to do this, as this is part of our countries heritage. I also don’t choose to decide how you provide for your family in this free country, or how you spend your recreational time in this wonderful province."
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy_Farmer View Post
    Yeah but your opinions wrong, so everyone here had to let you know that. Have a nice day.

keep it going Dano and Brit

Great rhetoric. The only thing that could play against hunters in it is the stats. One could say that the ratio of drivers to accident is lower than the firearm one. Also, we drive all year round. Hunting season limited. I'd leave that stat out all together.

The rest is brilliant and well laid out. Thanks you for doing this.

Quote Originally Posted by Stéphane View Post
    Great rhetoric. The only thing that could play against hunters in it is the stats. One could say that the ratio of drivers to accident is lower than the firearm one. Also, we drive all year round. Hunting season limited. I'd leave that stat out all together.

The rest is brilliant and well laid out. Thanks you for doing this.
    The Canadian accidental death stats, 27.9% per 100,000 people; of which 0.1% is firearms; and 10.2% per 100,000 are transportation deaths; including motor vehicles, watercraft and other land transports. so I don't think that hurts us.
    Add it if seen fit

As per

By Garry Breitkreuz, MP – December 13, 2001
    1998 – BETWEEN 7.2 AND 11 MILLION GUNS IN CANADA – JUSTICE DEPT.
    3.2 Key Projections - 3.2.1 Volumetrics
    “The federal SDM [Service Delivery Models] assumes – based on cumulative research evidence – that the number of firearm owners and firearms will – in reality – fall between the low and medium range. [Footnote #2 - Surveys undertaken from 1989 and 1998 have indicated household ownership to be in decline, ownership was recorded at a high of 33% in 1992 and 17% in 1997 according to an Environics Survey – Focus Canada; initial results of the 1998 Angus Reid survey do not significantly affect prior analyses and findings.”]
    The following are the baseline volumetric assumptions:
    Canada
    Low Range Estimates
    = 2,400,000 firearms owners
    = 7,200,000 firearms
    Medium Range Estimates
    = 3,100,000 firearms owners
    = 9,000,000 firearms
    High Range Estimates
    = 3,800,000 firearms owners
    = 11,000,000 firearms
    SOURCE: Memorandum of Agreement Respecting the Federal-Provincial Financial Agreement Addressing the Administration of the Firearms Act and Regulations Between The Government of Canada and The Government of the Province of Ontario – APPENDIX ‘A’ SERVICE DELIVERY MODELS, DISCUSSION PAPER (Version #2a) Overview, Analysis & Development of a Baseline Model, Operations Transition Planning, Canadian Firearms Centre, May 19, 1998. NOTE: This Agreement with Ontario was signed by Justice Minister Anne McLellan on December 2, 1999 and by Ontario Solicitor General David Tsubouchi on September 14, 2000

Remember 3.8mil firearmowners didn't use their 11mil firearms to kill anyone today
    Last edited by 303Brit; 12-15-2010 at 10:39 PM.
    Yeah but your opinions wrong, so everyone here had to let you know that. Have a nice day.

Quote Originally Posted by 303Brit View Post
    The Canadian accidental death stats, 27.9% per 100,000 people; of which 0.1% is firearms; and 10.2% per 100,000 are transportation deaths; including motor vehicles, watercraft and other land transports. so I don't think that hurts us.
    Add it if seen fit

+1
    I like it better this way. Unless they say the hunter "drove' to the hunting grounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Stéphane View Post
    +1
    I like it better this way. Unless they say the hunter "drove' to the hunting grounds.

I edited to add more

DesRosiers Automotive Consultants estimate that as of 2008 there are 75 cars on the road per 100 drivers. Not sure how many people over the age of 18 there are in Canada.

Last edited by 303Brit; 12-15-2010 at 10:48 PM.

Sounding good guys!

What I dislike the most about this is that the paper chose to print this letter. I can understand printing a letter that voices valid concerns or experiences but just reading this letter, how can you put any validity behind this person? The paper printed it because its left wing crazy controversial ranting.

Exactly as stated previously, the hunter did not fire because it was unsafe to do so.

The carcass is only feathers, proving nothing. The shot shell, likely a one off that a hunter missed while collecting his shells. Is it detrimental to the environment because its not biodegradable? yes, but will it negatively effect the writer? not likely.

It's not much different from a dog walker not picking up their dogs pile of crap. Yes its biodegradable but it sure wouldnt be nice to step in.

This is like me saying hey I went for a walk the other day, I saw a DOG WALKER! their dog barked at me! It made me scared and I closed my eyes as I thought for sure the dog would charge me and tear my throat out, but luckily it didn't. I also took some pictures of some dog poo that I stepped in and some pictures of the poo that accompanied my shoe all the way into my cars interior. There is no reason why people should have dogs and the dykes are for MY enjoyment not anyone elses especially a lowly dog! Dog walking must be banned immediately if we are to continue enjoying the limited green spaces left!

The biggest problem with this letter is that everyone who has any knowledge of hunting whether a hunter or not will likely read the article and quietly think to them selves "crackpot!" But the general public at large are easily scared into believing things about topics they know nothing about, reading this they will think holy crap! there is no way we can go walk the dykes anymore... its just not safe there are a bunch of testosterone pumped shotgun yielding varmints out there. We've gotta put a stop to this... count my vote in!

Keep er coming 303!

What I would like to see is.....

Active Hunting Area

Beware

Quote Originally Posted by Spy View Post
    What I would like to see is.....

Active Hunting Area

Beware
    Well I went for a walk on the Pitt River Dyke the other day, First off of Harris RD. Ran into a few dog walkers, both said they weren't aware you could hunt there but were friendly and wished me luck.

And the one on the bike was awfully thankful to me when he returned to the parking lot to find that the bike he forgot to tie off on his bike rack and which was in the middle of the road was safe and sound with me as I had posted a note on the gate and strapped the bike to my roof rack. A million thanks from him.

After I went for a walk on the dyke off of Reichenbach Rd... and the gate there had a big sign that says something along the line of "Caution this dyke is shared by hunters from september through march" Yet there was no such sign at Harris Rd nor have I seen a similar sign at the Alouette off of Neaves... We need more signage like this. At least then people won't be shocked at the possibility of seeing someone hunting, they will have some warning.

Quote Originally Posted by mungojeerie View Post
    Well I went for a walk on the Pitt River Dyke the other day, First off of Harris RD. Ran into a few dog walkers, both said they weren't aware you could hunt there but were friendly and wished me luck.

And the one on the bike was awfully thankful to me when he returned to the parking lot to find that the bike he forgot to tie off on his bike rack and which was in the middle of the road was safe and sound with me as I had posted a note on the gate and strapped the bike to my roof rack. A million thanks from him.

After I went for a walk on the dyke off of Reichenbach Rd... and the gate there had a big sign that says something along the line of "Caution this dyke is shared by hunters from september through march" Yet there was no such sign at Harris Rd nor have I seen a similar sign at the Alouette off of Neaves... We need more signage like this. At least then people won't be shocked at the possibility of seeing someone hunting, they will have some warning.
    Agreed cant do any harm,people are allot more comfortable when they know what,s up!

I think my sign is much better than the latter!

"No Hunting"