Thread: "I am shooting blind!"

"I am shooting blind!"

This has been a problem for as long as I have been using a fiber optic sight with my bow (which has been as long as I have been shooting a compound). I can't see red!!!!

My 20 yard pin is green, 30 is red, 40 is yellow, 50 is red, and 60 is green.

I am very accurate from 20 (of course) and 40, but I see two dots in the red sight and it is very blurry for me. I am more accurate from 60 than I am from 50. Not by much...but it is just far easier for me to see the green and yellow. What would you do? I have never shot an animal using the red sights. This is not because i have avoided them, it's just that most have been 25 yards and less (green pin), with a few shots using the 40 yards pin.

Advice?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: "I am shooting blind!"

Sounds like a bad case of Pink eye!
    Can you change out the red for a different colour like orange?
    Scars Are like Tattoos but With Better Stories

I just love to freak out people when I'm driving, and tell them I'm red-green colour blind. You'll have to get inventive to solve your problem too.
    They'll never end hunting...may make it illegal, but they'll never really kill that way of life!

See that's the problem, if the red just wasn't bright I'd understand but for some reason it shows up just fine, but unfortunately there is two of them and they are blurry. I am not color blind, just have trouble focusing on the sight. The other sights are bright and crisp and singular.

Go to your local shop .... any reputable shop will have a line on Fibre ....either in stock or easy access to order ... Change out the red fibre in your sights for "Ice Blue" .... either .029 or .019 dependinding on your sight ....

If you pay more than a couple bucks / foot your being ripped off ...

Depending on your sight you can buy replacement pins with any color you want pre installed .... Just becarefull if your sight is a multiple track sight ... get the proper track for the pin you want to replace, This is more expensive way ... but way less work and frustration if you have never changed Fibers before ... Last pin/ fibre combo I recall doing was on a Cobra Sidewinder ... I think I paid 10 bucks for the pin and 2 feet of fiber (the sidewinder wrapped fiber)
    Last edited by Bowzone_Mikey; 12-13-2010 at 08:01 PM.
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

Bow Walker Guest

If you are careful and go at it in a sow and steady way - you should be able to change the offending fiber thread without any problems.

If the fiber thread is a bit brittle and breaks when you try to bend it around a corner - just soak it in warm water for a couple of minutes. Not hot water - but warm water. Hot water might soften it too much and then it's a problem trying to thread it through those tiny holes. Kinda like trying to push a dead snake thru a knothole in the fence.

Be careful when you're melting the end of the thread that is in the sight pin. You don't want to melt it too much and you don't want to melt it too little (or it will fall out of the pin).

Bow Walker Guest

Are you in the South Island area at all? It'd be easy to change it out for you.

There was discussion a while back about how some eyes see colors differently; since I am a little bit red/green colorblind I checked my (then) new G5 sight and sure enough the yellow green and red pins didn't appear to align on the vertical plane. I know measured and they did actually align so swapped all of the red out to green, problem solved
    Cheers
    All the good lines are already taken

Hey MichaelB , 30% of Males are colour blind (Red , Green and BRown) . Like you I`m also colour blind .
    Damn those stand alone flashing Red and Amber traffic lights !!!!!!!!!!!!
    Cheers
    REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab on --

Group Memberships.

Traditional Bowhunters of BC
    Abbotsford Fish and Game Club
    BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC