Thread: Slower Day Today

Slower Day Today

Dad and I hit our duck'n fields this morning. It was definately slower than usual. The weather was pretty good being heavily cloudy and raining later on in the morning.

The day started off with mallards flying everywhere at legal shooting light. The cloud cover made the scene so dark, you couldnt see the background of the shot, so we gave the Kamikaze mallards a free pass. Finally about 15 minutes into legal light we decide its now light enough to shoot....... And they all disappeared. Finally a drake commits, and decoys 10 feet infront of the blind. Just before touchdown I jump up and flare him. Had to wait until he got some yardage otherwise I would'a decimated it.

The rest of the morning was just full of the odd single or double. No big numbers at all!! Reeeeaaaal slow . But the deeks worked GREAT!!!! Most of the birds were shot in that "dream pose" of the ducks feet down backpeddling like 3 feet off the ground at 20 yards!! So cool to see...

We had a great day all in all. Left around noon as the heavy rains started to come. We only had a handfull of ducks knock on our door this morning, and thanks to some great shooting, we still hauled out 10 Mallards with the 2 of us.

Saw crap loads of geese today. Flock after flock all morning:

We even had about 8 honkers come right into gunning range... But they are for next weekend.

Longshot jr.
    Last edited by longshot; 12-11-2010 at 09:02 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Slower Day Today

Still nothing flying up here on the fields.

May have to go to Nanaimo again

Good hunt it's fun in the rain
    When the sh*t hit's the fan ... You need a Redneck Man ......

Quote Originally Posted by trapperdan2061 View Post
    Still nothing flying up here on the fields.

May have to go to Nanaimo again

Good hunt it's fun in the rain
    Yup, we're gonna have to hit the reserves again for sure Dan. We'll go on a day like we did last time. Trying to hunt that place means you need the perfect tide/weather combo... just like last time.

Cheers,

jr.

Slower for us as well. Pretty much the same thing. Birds flying early in the dark and gone after one shot. We only managed 3 on Saturday and one on Sunday.

Way less birds around this week. I think the main body of mallards got in front of that storm on Friday and rode it to California.

Quote Originally Posted by shotgunjohn View Post
    Way less birds around this week. I think the main body of mallards got in front of that storm on Friday and rode it to California.
    Ya, I read that is what happens... the mallards ride on the warm front (I think) all the way down to California as it saves A LOT of energy. Hopefully we get more comin'!!

Longshot Jr.