Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Found my Bullet...7 months later

Found my Bullet...7 months later

So i found this while defrosting some steaks the other day.... didnt find anything while cleaning my moose or skinning but somehow 7 months later i defrost a steak and out pops my bullet... im amazed the butcher didnt find it either, kind of leaves me wondering. Anyways heres some pics.

the load was..
    .270 winchester
    51 grains of IMR 4350
    150 grain hornady interlock bullet

by the looks of things my bullet sure didnt hold together that well losing the core and fragmenting along the way bigtime.... Maybe new bullets will be in store for the fall.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Found my Bullet...7 months later

Not much left of that at all. I like the Nosler Partitions. They work well for me. Steve.
    It's better to pass on a shot that you wish later you took, then to take a shot and wish later you didn't.

What was the bullets path through the moose?
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse
    What was the bullets path through the moose?
    well thats the tough question haha, im wondering that now myself..first shot was a double lunger as i could clearly see the path of the bullet it went in one side and out the other, i followed with a quick second as it was on the run, but figured i missed that shot. then as i walked up the moose tried to get up about 50 yards away and i took another offhand shot and it dropped.

When i gutting I only found the path from my first shot though (clean through in one side out the other), making me wonder where the other 2 went... im thinking it was my third shot though which was quartering away ending up in the front leg region.. then into my steak possibley?

youngfellla Guest

Looks like it hit some bone, it's pretty beat up. Sure spit out the core though. I think I'd be switching to a Partition/A-Frame or any of the bonded bullets. That's not very good bullet performance.

At least you didn't swallow it!

You need to switch to a TSX!!! This is my 160gr 7mm Rem Mag TSX that I recovered from my moose last fall. Quatering towards shot, entered at the neck/ shoulder junction and recovered in opposite side kidney area. 100% weight retention. Gotta love those TSX.

i found the same thing slicing a roast once, cant believe noone found it before cutting up a roast!
    Hunt to live-live to hunt!

If the first shot was the kill shot what is wrong with the bullet, or were the second and third bullets different from the first??

Well yea the first was defonitly the kill shot, but id expect most bullets to hold up to a nice lungshot only going through 2 sets of ribs.... but say i screwed my shot up and hit it in the shoulder and my bullet exploded not penetrating, i now have a wounded moose that may never be found. I owe it to the animal to use a proper bullet and kill it cleanly and effeciently whether or not i shoot straight. Id think you should always use the best bullets you can, you owe that to the animal.

Yep. TSX is a nice projectile.