Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: October or November Moose hunt?

Re: October or November Moose hunt?

One simple suggestion do your home work on where the highest population of moose are ,that is where you will find your moose ,O and the last week of Sept and into the first week of Oct are the best for the rut ,it is as simple as that.
    Last edited by hunter1947; 06-19-2007 at 06:10 AM.

Not all of the breeding occurs in the main rut period. Therr is often a second lesser rut in late October. Calling moose can be productive anytime, may be to smaller bulls still tying to get some.

Has Ayone hunted 3-39 in Nov. If so how was it?
    VEGETARIAN (vej' eter' een) n:
    Old Indian Word for
    BAD HUNTER

From my experience I would have to say October......It is way harder to find a bull in November.

Hunting depends on the weather in 3:39, snow depth for access too, Taweel Lake (on the way in) is fair if you know where to stop. My uncle use to hunt there,was fair, Jellyvis

So how long does one average guy take to skin and quarter an average bull, if that 'average' guy is lucky enough to drop the bull on the road?
    Alex Li Custom Recurve 48" 62# @ 28", Osage-Bloodwood/Maple/Bamboo with Bocote Riser
    Alex Li Custom Recurve 48" 53# @ 28", Bocote/Bamboo with Water Buffalo Horn Covered Belly
    Blackwidow Recurve 56" 61# @ 28"

Well this thread is from last year, didn't anyone notice. I got that November draw and there was too much snow, I never even tried since I tagged a Muley in October anyways,

In lieu of Ryan's post this may be mute but the info may help Nov. drawees for /07. First off this is my first post as there really hasn't been a reason to post in the past due all the knowledgeable members on this board. I reside at Tunkwa Lake, on the border of 3-18/3-19 and I have the luxury of hunting 70-80 days from Sept.-Dec. The points I am about to make are my own observations, not meant to dispute or reinforce other posts. Every year I apply for Nov. draws and have had draws 2 of the last 3 years(forgot to send the cards in time last year). Obviously bulls are easier to find in Oct. but the traffic in our area is just crazy with immies and any buck still open. In Nov. there are only 10% of the hunters driving the roads and I, have found, under the right weather conditions and in our area the moose come back to the slashes to feed. Nov/04 we had a shared hunt and the second bull was taken on the 12th which happened to be the 25th moose we had seen since the 1st. One year later, Nov/05 my wife had a shared hunt and I had a draw for a single bull(got an immature Sept.27th) which was nullified. The conditions for my wife's draw were brutal. Too warm during the day and no snow, crusty ground and all the negative compounds. We didn't even see a cow moose for the first 10 days. The moose were out all night and back in the timber pre-dawn. It was so frustrating that one morning we went into one of our ground blinds to find our chairs tipped over and a large pile of droppings where our seats once sat. After about 15 days of this we went out for a drive one night around 9P.M.(no rifles) and got out at one of our popular meadows and bellowed a long cow call. The response was amazing, at least 2 bulls and maybe more. Last year one of our longtime clients had a shared hunt for 3-19B and they were hunting an old burn and I couldn't believe the numbers they said they were seeing until they invited me to go with them. It was about the third week of Nov. and the morning I went it was a complete whiteout though in the first hour we did see 8 moose(all cows/calves). Even with chains on we barely made it out of there around noon. Some of the things I've seen while armed hiking are walking into a moose meadow Nov.7th/02 and finding 2 bulls fighting and another spectating. The same year on Nov.26 finding a 5 pt. bull tending a cow(extremely late,don't you think?) I gave them a cow call with no response but one little bull grunt and that fella was a thousand yards across that meadow in no time. Yes, as a matter of fact I am a little longwinded so I'll bow out and I hope this info persuades/dissuades those contemplating Nov. draws for the future. Cheers, John

Hey johnk, that was a good report to read. I guess some hunters are right when they say moose if they miss first heat come on later, I still like the meat of a younger moose than a big old bull or cow. Tunkwa that is a nice area, I bet where you see moose you also see mulie bucks no doubt. I like that durand creek area but who does'nt. Thanx for the good report. Good luck

I have hunted moose in reg 3 for years. Trying to get an LEH is near impossible for a bull in some areas. Imatures are hard to find but are around. Hunting in Nov. for bulls can be real tough if the snow comes early, which is a year to year thing. Moose hole up in the timber after the 2 rut periods and are hard to get close to. Snow conditions can make driving to where you want to walk or atv from difficult. So I would say a draw in October better all around. Now for big mullies November is the month. Most all the hunters who will take any buck in October are gone. Conditions get tougher but the tough get going. Both moose & deer populations up from what I see.