Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: October or November Moose hunt?

Re: October or November Moose hunt?

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Sheep Steve
    October is WAY easier to find a bull. Once November rolls around they are back in the thick stuff strappping on the feed-bags. Most years of late, reg 3 has not had much snow in Nov. for tracking and finding out where they're hanging out. I know one hard core hunter that did get his bull in Reg 3 in Nov but he said he would never put in for Nov again. It seems once the snow does hit access is soon limited and those long-legged critters don't move until it's really deep.

I know many Nov draws left unfilled but don't know of one Oct draw not filled.

SSS
    This is what I figured. I might just put in for November anyways and combine the hunt with a trip for mulies during the rut (should I get the draw of course).

Thanks

Region 3 is a fairly big region, which management unit do you think is the best for spike/fork success possibilities if a person doesn't get limited entry hunting certificate. Around Kamloops and the Clearwater area in 2007 season, if the regs are the same in general as 06, any new ideas this year hunters? I believe October would be better than November also since the rut is on. Which mu in reg 3 would you think is better for spike forks in your humble experienced opinion. Around Kamloops and Clearwater?

WoodOx Guest

Honestly Jelvis, I dont believe it at all possible to predict which MU will have the highest birthrate of spikes or spike forks.

A question to consider, may be which MU has the highest quantity of birthing cows? That way, you will be in the right vicinity to find those one and a half and two and a half year old males stil hanging in the vicinity of birth or for that matter stil with their mothers.

If you want a moose IMHO head up north to either reg 6 or 7 during open season. Its hot,long drive, but success is decent.

Jelvis,
    If you had read the regs you'll see that Spike/Fork close Oct 31st. Sorry to burst your bubble.

ryanb, did you try in november or did you not get the certificate because october or november was the question you asked about.for moose, if you don't mind me asking? I thought october would be best but some say on here combine deer rut and moose in Nov. I only hunt around Kamloops I don't go way up north.

Ryan,
    Moose typically aren't in the same country as muleys in Nov. It is my observation that bulls will actually go higher in Nov than where you can find them ruttin in Oct. They like to hang out in that mid to high elevation timber and rest up until winter really settles in. And with bulls, it's normally deeper than balls deep before they even think of bailing out of that higher ground. Some years that type of snow doesn't come till after Christmas.

The bulls will lead to solitude after the rut as they are "bagged" out, they'll go into the thick bush and recouperate before the dead of winter kicks in so they can try to keep some winter fat if any left. I would be more incline to go in october but hey, you never know what could happen!
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...

Quote Originally Posted by browningboy View Post
    The bulls will lead to solitude after the rut as they are "bagged" out, they'll go into the thick bush and recouperate before the dead of winter kicks in so they can try to keep some winter fat if any left. I would be more incline to go in october but hey, you never know what could happen!
    I have to agree. I know several guys that haven't been able to fill tags or even find a bull late because they seem to be held up somewhere. That being said if you happen to know an area really well and are fortunate enough to get drawn, you may already know where they tend to hunker down post rut. The area I hunt moose regularly is very predictable, if you know it, and put in the time. I have come to know their patterns and know where to be. It's just a matter of being there at the right time, or where they tend to hold up under pressure.

Pull your head out of your Ass
    long enough to see how stupid you look!!!!!

go for October, I did a moose hunt last year in 3 19b in Nov. and the weather sucked big time. We saw a couple deer that werent legal. If the temp was above 0 it was raining.Go for the rut! Rob
    Not All Who Wander Are Lost

End of September and the first two weeks of October I would say is the best for calling and hearing a moose so that would help a lot, but your going to take that meat in and get it done cause it gets warm in the day. So the cost is fairly substantial but it has to be done. Or split it up between a number of hunters and do a quarter each. The backstraps are phenomenal on a moose, worth fighting over, lol.