Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: October or November Moose hunt?

October or November Moose hunt?

Just trying to decide whether to enter for October or November for a region 3 moose hunt. Obviously October has higher success by the lower number of tags, and worse odds, but is November not even worth applying for?

What can you expect on a November hunt? I guess its well past the rut so you'd be doing spot and stalk type hunting?

Thanks,
    Ryan

2. Site Sponsor

Re: October or November Moose hunt?

I've waited for Nov doe LEH that my buddy won a couple of times and when it came time to go, we were knee deep in snow. Either could be good but the weather is a factor the later you leave it!!
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

years ago (15+) me and dad went for a late season hunt in 3-30. Very cold, snow wasn't too bad (main roads drivable) but it was the cold I remember most. We did mostly stalking (to stay warm ) saw lots of deer and a few moose but no shooters.

Since then I've stayed local past October

all depends on where in region 3 u really wanna go...
    Originally Posted by Kechika Proof of sex means your buddy has to take pictures of you pleasuring your deer

i think its better, the moose already start moving to lower ground, you usually have snow so its easy to see fresh activity, plus the bucks are rutting so good chances of running into a big buck at the same time!
    Hunt to live-live to hunt!

November can be fun if you cut a set of tracks and put your skills to work! Can make for some serious work packing out but you generally don't have to worry about them dying in a massive swamp or having a bear come in and lay claim.

no moose in region 3, fill your leh in 7 or 8

no moose in 7, go to 8 or 3
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

nope i heard 5 is the place to be....or the clearwater area and then u get big bucks too biggest bucks in the world but u have to have the balls to hunt that area
    Originally Posted by Kechika Proof of sex means your buddy has to take pictures of you pleasuring your deer

October is WAY easier to find a bull. Once November rolls around they are back in the thick stuff strappping on the feed-bags. Most years of late, reg 3 has not had much snow in Nov. for tracking and finding out where they're hanging out. I know one hard core hunter that did get his bull in Reg 3 in Nov but he said he would never put in for Nov again. It seems once the snow does hit access is soon limited and those long-legged critters don't move until it's really deep.

I know many Nov draws left unfilled but don't know of one Oct draw not filled.

SSS