Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dec. 4 Pitt Polder

Dec. 4 Pitt Polder

Well, after missing a week on the Polder due to ice, we got out this morning bright and early. It was about -3 C when we got to the launch, and as we got ready to go, we watched Dano's boat crunching along for the first 40 yards or so of the channel. Funny, the worst ice was in the channel by the boat launch.

We got set up and ready to go prior to legal time, and there seemed to be quite a few birds in the air. There were a bunch of early flights, but due to poor shooting by both Gregg and I, we only bagged a couple early on.

Since we were in the shadow of the mountain until 9:30, ice was still forming out in the channel in front of us. There was no ice when we got there, so it seemed odd that ice would form as the morning went on. There was no wind to speak of, but he fog on the river tried its best to move in. Had to send Gregg out in the boat to make a few runs in and around the decoys to break up the ice to create some open water to entice the birds in.

Angus did his best impersonation of an ice breaker on his first retrieve of the day across the channel. It's the first time he's retrieved birds in icy conditions, so needless to say, I was pretty proud of him and surprised that he just plowed through the ice to get the bird.

We ended up with only 7 birds: mallard hens and a couple gadwalls.

The day finished with some more work on the blind and christening it with a frosty home-brew. What a beautiful day out there.

Here's a few shots of the day:

Gregg setting the decoys:

Angus the ice-breaker

Gregg making a couple of passes to bust up the ice

Angus packing one low in the water
    Drinking rum before 10 a.m. does not mean you are an alcoholic, it means you are a pirate.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Dec. 4 Pitt Polder

man, what a gorgeous setting, I would have been happy out there without getting any ducks

Nice pics, a great day to be out in the blind

"A rifle hunter's hunt is over at 200yrds, a bowhunter's hunt is just beginning at 200yrds."

"Train Hard, Hunt Easy."

"A bow hunter in a week will learn what a rifle hunter learns in a lifetime."- Fred Bear

Great scenery, and nice picture retrieving the gadwall

Quote Originally Posted by NitwiT View Post
    man, what a gorgeous setting, I would have been happy out there without getting any ducks

You know, as Gregg and I were having a beer at the end of the day standing on the edge of the blind, we got to discussing the scenery, and the fact that this location is 30 minutes from my door (10 min for Gregg).

Yeah there's some days when we don't do so well (like today), or when the birds just aren't flying, but is there any place prettier? Those mountains in the background with snow on them, and the calm of the marsh, the fog on the river in the morning.

Takes your breath away.

Terry
    Drinking rum before 10 a.m. does not mean you are an alcoholic, it means you are a pirate.

Alright Terry, thats enough, your making me jealous. Boundary Bay is nice and all, but doesn't really hold a candle to what you got

Mark

WOW those are some awsome pictures. Love the scenery of that place. looks like fun too

awesome pictures, that is gorgeous to have in your backyard.

Is hunting there more weather dependant? are you looking for the crappy weather, ie windy, rainy?

Quote Originally Posted by rburm View Post
    Is hunting there more weather dependant? are you looking for the crappy weather, ie windy, rainy?
    Rburm, I'm still pretty new at this, so I have no definitive answer for you. From what I've heard from more seasoned hunters, and from what I've observed in the last two years, it seems that you do need something that's gonna give the birds a reason to get up no matter where you are. Otherwise they'll sit in the fields, soak up the sun, and munch away on what they can find.

Whether its wind and rain, time of day (morning / evening heading to or coming from roosts), we saw a lot of birds today.

Nothing concrete I know, but I may not be the best guy to ask.

Terry

well, ive got a jon boat with a jet. a bunch of decoys as well as robos, get my dog back from the trainer in a couple weeks, will have to give it a shot. mind if i contact you?