Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What to use??

Re: What to use??

You need Rx from the vet to take to a retail pharmacy. Its called Meloxicam, or Mobicox is brand name. I don`t recall price as it is dose specific. Send me a pm with your dogs Metacam dose and I can do a conversion and give you an approximate price. BTW, as my name indicates, I am a pillpusher(pharmacist). LOL

Its great that the vet is monitoring liver function, but realistically, a 13 year old lab is possibly living on borrowed time. I had a lab in the same situation (12 yrs+) , eventually had to make the difficult choice to euthanize her. Best darn dog we ever had!

My old Lab recently died at 13. Wasn't really concerned too much about liver damage, but rather wanted to keep his hips as pain free and mobile as possible. I used Meloxicam, and every now and then took him off it to see if it worked. You certainly could see a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbore14 View Post
    I have a 416 and a shovel. Sorry, but someone was going to say it.
    Three posts in and the Idiot Award goes to...

what a dick

Feel free to post when you`re in need of information and or support relating to a situation that YOU deem to be sensitive and important, and I`ll do my best to find a comment to console you, .

Quote Originally Posted by gmcgilli66 View Post
    I have a 13+ lab who is having lots of hip / arthritis problems. He has had a few series of metacam anti-inflamatory treatments in the last couple of years and responds favorably to them temporarily. My vet wants to do a bloodwork series @ $125 before he will prescribe again (says he's worried about liver damage) I really can't afford that and would rather put the $$ toward medication for him.
    Anyone else with experience in this? What would you suggest ?
    Geo

There is no cure for arthritis, save for a total joint replacement, only analgesics and other treatments that provide pain relief.

As with any medication, there are negative side effects that can occur with strong NSAID administration. Gastric and duodenal ulcers, liver and kidney damage are risks.

Your vet is providing you with responsible information and is supporting sound practice with recommending the liver function tests. It wold be irresponsible to do otherwise, especially in a geriatric dog.

Can you find the $$ somewhere for the labs? This and the meds your vet prescribes will be the best bet....medication-wise.

Otherwise, your pooch may find a warm, soft place to sleep and lie, and not on a cold hard surface offering relief. D

Try not to let him jump up or down from height, thus exacerbating the pain. Try to titrate his activity, allowing ample time to rest between exercise.

You`re on the right track with your research, hopefully you`ll find the best combination of treatments to help.

We are in the same boat with our 12 yo Chessie, she was getting shots of Cartifin (sp?) but here liver and kidneys were getting damaged, so we quite.

Now she gets Summit Canadian Chicken w/ Gloucosamiine and gets a couple low dose aspirin when she shows limping or in pain. It works as she in like a big old puppy!!!!

We also, and this was the hardest to do, limit her to one to two short walks a week and she is inside when ever the weather gets cold or nasty. At first she was pi$$ed, but now she accepts it and is happy to see us when we come back.

As someone else said, make their last eyars as comfortable as can be and they will be happy.

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

Quote Originally Posted by gmcgilli66 View Post
    Thankyou for the sterling advice!! Meloxicam sounds like a better alternative. I want to provide the best I can afford for my old guy. He's a true family member. Thanks,
    George
    If he's a true family member then take him to the vet. All this advise may be helpful or may end up causing unnecessary pain for your 'family member'. Would you take the advise of non-professionals for your 2 legged family members just to save a few bucks?
    Growing old is unavoidable. Growing up is highly overrated....

Quote Originally Posted by goatdancer View Post
    If he's a true family member then take him to the vet. All this advise may be helpful or may end up causing unnecessary pain for your 'family member'. Would you take the advise of non-professionals for your 2 legged family members just to save a few bucks?
    Goatdancer, if you read the advice that was given to gmcgilli66 correctly you would see that most of us are in agreement with the vet.
    In his original post he asked for advice based on our previous experience.
    We only offered suggestions as to how to get the appropriate medication at a cheaper price.
    Pillpusher in particular offered really great advice that we all can benefit from.
    It was an exchange of knowlege based on our own experiences.
    We're not professionals but many of us have been in his shoes and can understand his dilemma.

I'm not sure why you think that pain releif medication would cause unnessesary pain.

Deb

Try Glucosamine Sulfate, give him 2000 mg a day. It takes a fair while to kick (30ish days) in but really worked for my old pup.
    Is completly natural and safe to use with any other medication, and is very inexpensive.
    Can't hurt,