Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What to use??

Question What to use??

I have a 13+ lab who is having lots of hip / arthritis problems. He has had a few series of metacam anti-inflamatory treatments in the last couple of years and responds favorably to them temporarily. My vet wants to do a bloodwork series @ $125 before he will prescribe again (says he's worried about liver damage) I really can't afford that and would rather put the $$ toward medication for him.
    Anyone else with experience in this? What would you suggest ?
    Geo

2. Site Sponsor

Re: What to use??

had a 14 year old lab with bad hips, fed him ukanuba senior and made a world of difference. It has high glucosamine levels.

hope that helps
    Some people call them hunting hounds, I call them cross country sight seeing guides

I have a 416 and a shovel. Sorry, but someone was going to say it.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    Unions and beacon is what I fry the liver in with a coating of flower on the liver ,,I eat the tong,,the hart,, its very good eating......

try and get recovery extra stength with hi loronic acid , from bosley,s....i combnied it with metacam liquid in his dinner and it worked great for my older dog when he wrenched his shoulder....fowl

Angry Re: What to use??

Quote Originally Posted by bigbore14 View Post
    I have a 416 and a shovel. Sorry, but someone was going to say it.
    Yeah, right thanks for the sterling advice! No help? STF up!!

Metacam can have some damaging effects to your dogs liver. Your Vet is playing it safe as he/she should.
    I would suggest that you suck up the vet's charge for blood work but ask for a prescription for Meloxicam instead of Metacam.

Meloxicam is the compounded generic version of Metacam at 1/2 the price.
    You may have some difficulty finding a compounding pharmacy that will make it, but the extra work is well worth the effort.

Metacam (Meloxicam) is the human equivilant to IBphrophen (Nsaids).
    They take several hours to relieve the pain, but when they work your old dogs will act like a young puppy! The key is using the least amount needed to do the job on a regular basis.

Hope this info helps!
    Deb

Meloxicam does not have to be compounded, depending on the dosage required. It is available commercially in both 7.5mg and 15mg tabs. Most dogs require either 1/2 tab daily or 1 tab daily if a larger/heavier animal, but yes, much cheaper than metacam.

Do what Deb says.

Unfortunately even if you changed vets they are going to want to run the blood panel even though to you and I it makes little sense to do on a 13+ year old dog just to check for liver damage.

Possible liver damage from metacam versus good quality of life with metacam. It's a balancing act. Use as little as possible to get that balance.

I have a friend in your shoes with an golden who has had crutiate surgery, now has arthritis and is using metacam or meloxicam on a regular basis to keep her old guy happy. Very happy.

He doesn't know anything is wrong with him. Yes there is a possibility he will go into liver failure but until then he is basically painfree.

Kasomor

No kidding??
    That's great.
    How does the price compare to Metacam?
    Where and how do you buy it?
    Through your vet or from a pharmacy?
    Is it called Meloxicam?
    Do you need a RX?

I've been hoping one day to find out that it is commercially available!

Deb

Thankyou for the sterling advice!! Meloxicam sounds like a better alternative. I want to provide the best I can afford for my old guy. He's a true family member. Thanks,
    George