Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Who has the best Cougar hounds........

Re: Who has the best Cougar hounds........

Now not being "up" on hound lines I am asking this sincerely. I used to have a couple of Redbones when I was over Grand Forks way. I was told by some of the old time houndsmen that I knew that Redbones derived in the south from bloodhound Xs and hence the oldschool term "saddleback" hound. So if that is the caes that would add more bloodhound to a lot of the blended lines and increase cold trail abbilities would it not? I know my 2 were killers on a cold scent.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

pretty much all the breeds of coonhounds with the exception of the Plot share the same basic background. Foxhound,bit of bloodhound/old school scenthound, a pinch of razzle dazzle and probably some handsome stranger thrown in for good measure.
    “Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.”

Quote Originally Posted by Barracuda View Post
    pretty much all the breeds of coonhounds with the exception of the Plot share the same basic background. Foxhound,bit of bloodhound/old school scenthound, a pinch of razzle dazzle and probably some handsome stranger thrown in for good measure.
    Well said, when hunting in the south a became friends with a family who produced the same line of redbones for generations. Grandpa Mosbey told me he remembers his Grandfather telling him yhey developed the strain along with freed slaves and other "poor folk" by sneaking their bitches in heat into the mantracking prison bloodhounds. Their dogs were classic redbones but some exhibited a faint saddle on their backs reflecting their beginnings.
    "Live Like You Were Dying" Because you are.

Lie down now, Lie down FOREVER!