Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Lab training, no e-collar

Re: Lab training, no e-collar

Not finding a lot out there. I'm going to consult Milner and Tarrant and go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by labguy View Post
    Well now I'm really confused.

The statement you quoted says Walters doesn't have any faith in this type of training.

I don't get your point, although I believe it's coming from some misguided opinion based on almost zero experience training retrievers and is somehow aimed at me for my recommendation of this book.

Look Iron Glove......your certainly entitled to your opinions, however you admitedly know squat about retriever training. You're knee jerk reactionary snide litte commentary is exactly what I have against these forums...........it's coming from a place of ignorance instead of knowlege.

The training method quoted by you was used in its day. A lot has happened since then. There is still a plethora of knowlege to be gained from Walters books even though some of it is outdated and doesn't mean the rest of the material should be dismissed.............especially for someone who wants to train collarless. There's not much information out there for collarless training as it too is outdated.

If you'd taken the time to read the rest of this thread you might have gained some knowlege. Instead you chose to take some preconceived notion based on zero experience and knowlege and try to make some dumb a$$ point that is totally invalid.

To take one part of the book and quote it as reason to make some point is idiotic.

Dear God give me strength and deliver me from these "Toller people."
    Whoa there Labbie. Someone must have peed in your coffee.
    My quoting of Wolters, and you are correct in your understanding of the English language, that he was NOT promoting the method he was discussing in his book, was simply to show how there are, or were, some rather dubious training methods in past. I do know how to read and I am well aware that Wolters is not approving of this method.
    It was not aimed at your citing his works nor was it aimed at denigrating you in any way.( tho' I do believe you quoted Walters, not Wolters ). Man, some people are sure touchy.
    It was inteneded to be humerous.
    So I really don't know where the "snide" , "idiotic" and "ignorant" comments come from nor are they warranted.
    I will however overlook your total misread of my post and your unwarranted personal attack as after all, you are a "Lab Person."

Dear God give me strength and deliver me from these "Toller people."
    Now don't be bring the breed back into this!

Casagrande,

Milner also has a Positive Gun Dog Forum. It's not very active but perhaps worth joining.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Glove View Post
    Whoa there Labbie. Someone must have peed in your coffee.
    My quoting of Wolters, and you are correct in your understanding of the English language, that he was NOT promoting the method he was discussing in his book, was simply to show how there are, or were, some rather dubious training methods in past. I do know how to read and I am well aware that Wolters is not approving of this method.
    It was not aimed at your citing his works nor was it aimed at denigrating you in any way.( tho' I do believe you quoted Walters, not Wolters ). Man, some people are sure touchy.
    It was inteneded to be humerous.
    So I really don't know where the "snide" , "idiotic" and "ignorant" comments come from nor are they warranted.
    I will however overlook your total misread of my post and your unwarranted personal attack as after all, you are a "Lab Person."
    Then I'll be man enough to apologize............... and acknowlege your patience for not flying off the handle back at me.

Reading comprehensionally challenged regards...after all I am a lab person.
    "Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donel fat"

Then I'll be man enough to apologize............... and acknowlege your patience for not flying off the handle back at me.

Reading comprehensionally challenged regards...after all I am a lab person.
    Apology gracefully offered and accepted.
    Note there seems to be some confusion regarding authors in this post. I'm looking at Richard A. Walters - others are citing D.L. Walters. Maybe two different people?
    And Labby, just so you know, I think the best all round dog in the world IS a Lab, it's just that Tollers fit us better. Our Daughter who was at the time a Vet Asst. suggested Tollers to us and we followed her suggestion. A few years later when they got a Lab, I asked why she didn't get a Toller. Her response was "Because we didn't want a dog that could outhink us."
    We now have two of the red headed devils and we know who rule our house and it ain't the two legged ones.

It's D. L. Walters

http://www.gundogsupply.com/trainrettoha.html

and

Richard Wolters

http://www.gundogsupply.com/-624-.html

Regards,
    Toller Person

Quote Originally Posted by Kasomor View Post
    It's D. L. Walters

http://www.gundogsupply.com/trainrettoha.html

and

Richard Wolters

http://www.gundogsupply.com/-624-.html

Regards,
    Toller Person
    Damn, see, now I'm even spelling Wolters wrong, with the book right in front of me.
    I'm gonna take Molly & Ripley for a walk - after putting on 4 layers of clothing !!

Talking Re: Lab training, no e-collar

I liked it better when you guys were fighting.
    Thanks to all.