Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hanging your ducks

hanging your ducks

Just wondering how long you guys hang your ducks for?? do you gut them first?? I have heard somewherew in the 3 day range with the guts in and then pluck and dress.

any thoughts?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: hanging your ducks

hang them till their heads fall off

Quote Originally Posted by mattchu_19 View Post
    hang them till their heads fall off
    hehehehhahahah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    wonder what’s over the next hill?

I hang them for up to three or four days depending on when i'm leaving hunting camp

in old times, ducks and pheasants would be hung from their heads until they would start to tear away and fall off. i have never tried this nor would i want to.
    i was always told to age the meat at least a little bit, however, i once read an article that made me think differently.
    after shooting your ducks and geese, it said, try to clean them a s soon as possible and then age the meat in the fridge for up to 10 days if you like, the fridge being a perfect temperature.
    the reason for it was just in case a shot punctures any internal organ it could leak into the meat making it spoil rather fast. I have had ducks hanging for a few days because i could not clean them as soon as i wanted and i see what they meant.
    i do clean them now as soon as i can, i have not noticed any difference in the flavour at all.
    cheers...D

My father and uncles would hang ducks for days before cleaning. Never thought it a good idea. I clean mine as soon as I can then store them in the fridge for 7 to 10 days. A much safer way to age the meat.

Smile Re: hanging your ducks

Yes, my dad used to hang ducks for about a week or more (if the temperature was right)....but I'm old and lazy, and can't see any good reason to pluck ducks......try this great recipe, it's the Filet Mignon of duck!
    Make one incision down the breastbone. Peel the skin away, remove the two breasts. Marinate them overnight in a mixture of soya sauce, garlic, onions, any other spices you wish. Next day, take them out of the marinade, and marinade them for two more hours in ginger ale. (not diet, just regular ginger ale). Fasten some bacon strips around them with toothpicks, and barbecue (rare is best). Great eating, and no fuss & muss!
    If you wish, you can stuff the discarded carcasses with a chunk of styrofoam, fasten with duct tape, and use them for training your retrievers....

I clean right away and then give at least a day in the fridge. I try to let them sit a couple of days in the fridge..... if the wife don't need the space and then freeze.

I fillet out the breasts and jerk the legs off asap. I then 'age' for 2 or 3 days (3 seems better) in the cool-a-tron.

Mr. Dean,

HuntingBC. 'Minnie' Mod.
    HUGE fan of taxidermy.
    My HBC Photo Gallery: http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showg...sername=mrdean

A shot bird is will likely have punctured innards which leads to contamination. It really depends where and what the bird has been eating. Since it is wild you don't know.

We run a very small chicken operation. Most of the processing directions suggest letting a cleaned processed bird rest with a core temp of 40F for 48 hours before eating or freezing for a tastier and more tender meal.
    Last edited by garyp; 11-17-2010 at 09:35 PM.