Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunting with the Northern Island boys.

Hunting with the Northern Island boys.

The Day started at 4:45am when Field Marshal met me at my house to load my stuff in his truck and meet up with the boys from up north who made a trip to Duncan to Hunt with us.

We get back to Field Marshal's house and there is LorneParker1 and 303Brit in his grocery getter with the back of the Van filled with decoys and blinds.

We head out and set up for what we expected to be a duck hunt of epic proportions, boys where we wrong. 5 minutes before legal the normal sky full of ducks then legal time comes around and the sky goes silent.

Someone who shall not be named makes a comment about he only brought 8 shells with him as he's that good. Field Marshal and I figure we'll let our guest take the first couple of birds so we let the ducks circle, and circle, and circle. Finally the duck is doing the helicopter in front of Lorne and 303Brit and it sounds like a seen out of Saving Private Ryan, 6 shots rang out and the bird leaves the spread untouched.

Field Marshal and I look at ourselves in disbelief, the duck is like 15 yards in front of them hovering and not one pellet hit the duck. I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who has a bad day once in a while.

The morning is quite slow with no geese and the odd duck visiting the decoys. Again we pass on many birds so that Lorne and 303Brit get a shot but a guy can only handle a duck circling the decoys for so long and we end up dropping a few waiting. We then allow one to make it's way over Lorn and 303Brit and the sky is filled with pellets but the duck must be from the matrix as it bends and weaves through the wave of pellets and thinks it's home free. I then put a bead on it as it's making it's way out of the spread at 30 yards and give it a warning shot and crumple it with the second.

The northern boys decide around 11:30am they've had enough and pack up to head back home. Field Marshal and I decide to stay back as we're expecting our luck to change as the black cloud heads back north with the grocery getter.

When the boys left they had two birds and Field Marshal and I had 8 on the ground in the blind at this point, an hour later and we decide to call it a day with 14 birds on the ground, don't want to be greedy.

All joking aside, it was great to finally meet with 303Brit and Lorne.Had a great BS session and a good razzing all around. Hoping they can return the favour when I'm in their neck of the woods next time.
    Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Hunting with the Northern Island boys.

We def had a great time! and a better power nap when we got home! The Curtosey of both groups trying to let the others shoot was not good. Too many birds got a free pass. One thing we kept to our selves was that since we kill SO MANY more birds then the down island guys, we were taking it easy and being convservationists as we werent sure how many more they'd get to shoot for the rest of the season. Although i will concede we got out shot today and were not on our A game or even or B for that matter, as expected the bird we dropped at your feet after you guys missed it with 3 shots (inside 20 yards), the multiple misses on singles screaming through on your side while sleeping at the wheel, and the classic 1 shot at one duck while 100 are trying to light in the dekes screwing us all was left out by the OP!.

Great laughs and jokes all day made the day. Really good company and had a real good times. Marc and Tony are Class A folks! Gives us a few days notice when you are heading up and we'll make it happen.

Thanks again,

Lorne
    Last edited by lorneparker1; 11-14-2010 at 10:05 PM.

x2 one above

In all seriousness, my shooting today was appaulling! That aside it was awesome to finally meet the Field and Marc, both are excellent guys. It was an ole school shat flinging contest all morning.

One thing Lorne forgot to mention is the 50 birds "SOMEONE" jumped up 45seconds before legal lol

I look forward to another shoot with the Southerners

GEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy_Farmer View Post
    Yeah but your opinions wrong, so everyone here had to let you know that. Have a nice day.

Bahahaha!! Well I saw LP in the afternoon and he did look visibly shaken...

Lots of laughs with the Northerners
    Don't understand why they brought shells without PELLETS tho'
    Until next time, straight shootin' boys!!!
    Cheers, Field Marshal.

Great re-cap of the day!

This site is a fantastic way to connect with other hunters, even if you're not connecting with the birds.
    Drinking rum before 10 a.m. does not mean you are an alcoholic, it means you are a pirate.

Sounds like a blast was had!!!

From the sounds of it I don't feel as bad about my shooting...maybe its just the birds in that neck of the woods!!!
    Member of:
    BC Wildlife Federation
    Delta Waterfowl
    Ducks Unlimited

Quote Originally Posted by 303Brit View Post
    x2 one above

One thing Lorne forgot to mention is the 50 birds "SOMEONE" jumped up 45seconds before legal. lol

You must be talking about when I shut the action of my shotgun and the sound of the cluchank! I saw the birds lift and I was chuckling sorry guys but I figured there would be lots more to come in the spread.

Quote Originally Posted by lorneparker1 View Post
    Although i will concede we got out shot today and were not on our A game or even or B for that matter, the classic 1 shot at one duck while 100 are trying to light in the dekes screwing us all was left out by the OP!.

Have you ever heard the saying a bird in the hand is better then 100 in the decoys.
    After you guys left we stayed for an extra hour and shot another 6 ducks and we decided to call it a day.

Figured I'd post a pic of the birds or you'd say we were BSing as well.

Man was my wife mad when I got home. I guess Marshall was not impressed that I left him at home that morning and he put up such a fuss that my wife couldn't sleep. He's defanitely better probably 90% but I didn't want to take the chance of re-injuring his tail so we will be heading out this weekend together.
    Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF

sweet show marc! I see you killed every suzie in the CV when we left as well!

Good hear marshall is feeling better!

Geez, you north,south,east,west island guys sure are hard on them Suzie Qs. I've seen a fair bit of brown in your piles aswell Lorne Whack em and stack em hahahaha