Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Alberta bound

Alberta bound

So I'm getting packed, to get ready to head to Alberta to meet up with Randy and Phil and Whitetail hunting, I also have the late-season trophy mule deer tag, and the opportunity for a few pheasants.

Having the chair blind makes Whitetail hunting doable for an old hunter with poor knees waiting for knee surgery. It means I can sit, drink coffee and watch the trails sounds pretty easy and has been successful the past. The mule deer will be in rut so we'll just be a matter of waiting for big old boy to come running by chasing a girl....

I will meet up with my wife in red deer, and then head down to Calgary for a few days shopping and relaxing and also get to stop by Hinton and meet with my sister and her girls.

For the first time in 30 years I have no steakes, no roasts, no hamburger in the freezer… Good fun great memories but no success in harvesting game a couple of deer would come in very useful over the winter.

Having these injuries left untreated by wcb....dragging their ass..typical insurance companty..has resulted in a very difficult season so far..

No game meat as of yet but i love Alberta..open shots everything done on the move NOTHING STANDS STILL for a shot...hell bent for the bush...

Th chair blind means I can set up on areas that I can see in many directions..set up..literally 30 seconds...ensure I have the coffee thermos and binos and Im hunting..just aint gonna be able to do much walking or brush pushing....

Leave towards the end of the month...have a week to get things packed and sorted out...

Cheers

Steven
    Last edited by srupp; 11-14-2010 at 12:28 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Alberta bound

Good luck on the hunt steven and if nothing else you get to spend some time with family.Hope to see some pics when you get home.

Sounds like a plan!....drive safe, have fun and good luck. Don't forget a camera.
    They'll never end hunting...may make it illegal, but they'll never really kill that way of life!

Good luck my friend! Make sure you get some pictures for those of us that can't get out.

Lucky dog-how'd you get a mulie tag for Alberta? You better put that to good use!
    A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

If you come down to the coast bring a cooler. Lots of moose, whitetail, blackbear and goat to go around. Pheasant, grouse, and ducks too if youre feeling birdie. Salmon, Hali, and cod too if you need something fishy. Hate to see a man starve! Cheers bro.

BTW how many days in the field this fall?

Mule were rutting hard last week, suspect the wt's will be at it now too. Winter's hitting this week, some snow may be just the ticket. Bring your longjohns.

Thanks Dave..kinda think I have enough stored on my body for a few years..first time in over 2 decades I havnt put anything in the freezer..YET..lol Not many days in the field at all.....

Cainer I have been putting in my WIN system in Alberta for many years..already drew mulies once..had some great hunts with the Alberta guys....kinda hoping for a toad whitie or mulie...already have a very nice looking whitetail taxidermied up on the wall from one of the trips

Next year I should have enough points for BOTH moose AND pronghorn..

cheers
    Steven

Steven,

Have fun chasing the Mulies here in AB. It has been an awsome year for big bucks on the prairies.

Regarding your moose draw. Moose in Alberta are getting hammered by wolves and over hunting. The province has an experimental program in place to reduce moose populations in areas with wolves, as an effort to lower wolf densities, in order to save caribou. I believe BC has tried the same thing.

Have you decided on a WMU for your moose draw, what is your priority? Choose your WMU moose draw carefully. Many Alberta hunters here are willing to help, just ask.

Dale

ps. Like our elk, moose in the prarie zones can be HUGE!

Quote Originally Posted by Walking Buffalo View Post
    Steven,

Have fun chasing the Mulies here in AB. It has been an awsome year for big bucks on the prairies.

Regarding your moose draw. Moose in Alberta are getting hammered by wolves and over hunting. The province has an experimental program in place to reduce moose populations in areas with wolves, as an effort to lower wolf densities, in order to save caribou. I believe BC has tried the same thing.

Have you decided on a WMU for your moose draw, what is your priority? Choose your WMU moose draw carefully. Many Alberta hunters here are willing to help, just ask.

Dale

ps. Like our elk, moose in the prarie zones can be HUGE!
    ..rather interested in Ur post...it just confirms my thoughts pertaining to knowledge of Alberta's government has when it comes to the study of wolves in populated areas containing deer,moose, or even the precious caribou...it is a proven fact that wolves thin out the herds from the weak and the sick/injured..but..that isn't good enough is it when it comes down to the mighty 'dollar'..nope, your politicians has to pin the depletion of herds that carry the most $$$$ from the hunters and so ..blame it on the top of the food chain..quite typical!