Thread: Grouse Hunting With My Lab Puppy

Grouse Hunting With My Lab Puppy

I took my 3 1/2 month chocolate lab puppy out grouse hunting over the last three days. It's has been very rewarding. I taught her to always keep looking back for me so she doesn't run off. I'm not a trainer, but when I first started taking her out, if she got a bit too far ahead, I would hide on her. She would race past me with panic in her eyes! Not sure if this is the right thing to do, but it works, and has worked for all my dogs in the past. No grouse so far though. Only have seen one in the last three days.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Grouse Hunting With My Lab Puppy

Sounds like you had a fun time as did your puppy.

Hiding is a very effective way of keeping a pup aware of where you are

How have you introduced her to gun fire and shooting over her?

Cheers,

Kasomor

I do the same thing with my chessie, hide if he gets out front to far.....he does the same, comes searching with some panic in his eyes!
    Sometimes I hide really good, like over a 100 yards away and spy on him....he goes straight into search mode and sniffs my trail....its pretty amazing!
    My dog gets pretty excited when the .22 comes out because he knows its grouse down.
    Hunt to live-live to hunt!

I started her out in the pasture and held her as a friend of mine went a ways off with my .22. He shot and I watched her reaction, then he moved closer. I then had him do the same with my 12 gauge. The shooting never bothered her at all!