Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nov 11 Slayfest

Nov 11 Slayfest

So the day began with a Remembrance Day Ceremony, the Parade was well turned out. The weather was less than desirable for an outdoor ceremony, but that’s the nature of Vancouver Island.

This afternoon I met up with Lorne and Steelhead, we were taking Steelhead on his first ever waterfowl hunt. Lorne and I were giddy like school girls, and anxious like a pup waiting for its first retrieve. Steelhead shows up while pile into my truck and trek down the access road. After negotiating a couple deep rivers running across the road, we arrive at the field we planned to shoot. Jumped up a few decent sized flocks of ducks, as we off loaded the kit. It was all we could do to get things setup amidst the ducks trying to still land all around us on the sheet. Steelhead and I were setup and lying down while Lorne continued to dick around with his blind. A Pair of ducks come in all locked up, I holler to Steelhead to shot and BANG…..thud He nails the first duck in the spread with the first shot.

What ensued over the course the next hour was every fowlers dream, to many ducks to keep track of. After about the 3rd aggressive flock of teal’s Lorne and I both call no more teal!! So after approx of hour of craziness, that dam skies opened up and the sun comes out. Things slowed for approx a ½ hr, but at the end of the day we still ended up with 21 birds. Steelhead was still pretty excited overall, even though he was soaked to the bone.

I'm pretty jacked up about todays shoot it was awesome

This Suzie is one of them infamous Comox Valley Fish ducks

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy_Farmer View Post
    Yeah but your opinions wrong, so everyone here had to let you know that. Have a nice day.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Nov 11 Slayfest

Well done guys!

How do you know its a fish duck?

Quote Originally Posted by DMAN009 View Post
    How do you know its a fish duck?
    Inside joke you have to be from the Comox Valley and a waterfowler to get it.

Most of the people up hear claim all of the ducks are fishy and not worth shooting.

Yeah but your opinions wrong, so everyone here had to let you know that. Have a nice day.

By the looks of all the mallards getting shot on the island it looks like some numbers are finally down. Good to see.

My uncle once shot a mallard that when it hit the ground its neck tore like that one and salmon eggs came out. He said he could smell it from 10 feet away..... He stopped hunting that area hahaha. Nothing like corn feed mallards!

twas a bad ass hunt. To watch Ian drop his first bird on his very first shot at a flying duck was the highlight for me.
    One sweet pic that didnt make the orginal
    Last edited by lorneparker1; 11-11-2010 at 09:09 PM.

Hard to beat that view right there. The best part of that pic is we were b*tchin bout the sun come out

By the looks of all the mallards getting shot on the island it looks like some numbers are finally down. Good to see.

My uncle once shot a mallard that when it hit the ground its neck tore like that one and salmon eggs came out. He said he could smell it from 10 feet away..... He stopped hunting that area hahaha. Nothing like corn feed mallards!
    The problem with living on an Island is you're never to far from the Ocean or river. We shot mallards out of a corn field and when I was cleaning them one had roe come out of it's mouth. I also shot a mallard on the bay one day and when I got him home his crop was full of small crabs.
    Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF

Thanks LP and 303 for taking me out and showing me how it's done! The sheer number of ducks flying around was insanity! When we first arrived We were pretty well all standing out of our blinds and we had ducks on final approach. What a rush!

.... O ya, I mentioned to a friend that I was duck hunting and he said he doesn't like that cause they are fish ducks and taste terrible. Hmmm... O well more for us.
    Last edited by steelhead; 11-11-2010 at 11:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by steelhead View Post
    Thanks LP and 303 for taking me out and showing me how it's done! The sheer number of ducks flying around was insanity! When we first arrived We were pretty well all standing out of our blinds and we had ducks on final approach. What a rush!

.... O ya, I mentioned to a friend that I was duck hunting and he said he doesn't like that cause they are fish ducks and taste terrible. Hmmm... O well more for us.
    No Worries buddy, glad we finally got your *ss out with us. Even if it did get soaked

Ya Like Marc said it's not entirely unlikely for you to shoot a fish duck, but I have yet to experience it.