Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Left handed 12 gauge for waterfowl?

Re: Left handed 12 gauge for waterfowl?

I have been using a left handed 870 express. It can definitely take the abuse of every day hunting in the marsh and love it to bits. But this year I have borrowed a friends semi-auto mossberg 935 12G for the season. Spent shells eject out the right hand side and being a left handed shooter I have no problem with them even coming close to hitting me in the face. I think I will be selling my 870 this year and getting my own semi-auto, I'm hooked on it.

I use a BPS even though I am right handed and right eye dominant. I really like the bottom eject and the tang safety. It is relatively easy to field strip and the stock fits me well.
    "The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause."
    -Theodore Roosevelt France, 1910

Quote Originally Posted by mildcustom2 View Post
    I have been using a left handed 870 express. It can definitely take the abuse of every day hunting in the marsh and love it to bits. But this year I have borrowed a friends semi-auto mossberg 935 12G for the season. Spent shells eject out the right hand side and being a left handed shooter I have no problem with them even coming close to hitting me in the face. I think I will be selling my 870 this year and getting my own semi-auto, I'm hooked on it.
    I agree with this. I am right handed, but shoot left and have a right hand Browning Gold 10 Semi. No problem with shells ejecting across to my right (you do wear shooting glasses, right?)

I am left handed and I shoot left handed, over 60yrs of waterfowling I have shot only right handed shotguns and I have had them all Win #12- Rem #870 Browning #A-5 Benelli nova Benelli SBE Benelli SBE2 Benelli Lagacy Benelli Vinci. I have never had any trouble with shells getting in my face. and I have never worn glasses the only shells I have had in my face came from my partner on my left in a duck blind.
    3 kinds of duck hunters, Duck hunters that make it happen, Duck hunters that watch it happen and Duck hunters that wonder how it happen . WASHINGTON WATERFOWL ASSN MEMBER

Have 2 Browning Bps 1 in 20 and 1 in 12 nice smooth reliable pumps, bottom feed, bottom eject.

When looking for shotguns, I was initially set on a BPS but tried a rental 870 (right handed) at a trap range in the US. At the time, the price difference was a big deal and I really liked the feel of the old 870 at the range. I ended up with a left handed 870 express with a 28" barrel. So far it has been great. If your son wants to try it, we could possibly arrange to meet at POCO for trap shooting (2nd and 4th Sunday of each month) or the Vancouver Gun Club. PM me.

Shotguns are like fine wine.........lol

Being left handed is a biotch sometimes, leaving you with little choice sometimes. I would suggest:

SXS 12ga, an over/under, Browning BPS pump, Remington 870 left hand Wingmaster or Express or an Ithaca (also bottom eject). Also let him use a right handed pump to see if the shell ejecting bother him.

I am left handed and shoot a LH SBE2. I didn't get this until a couple of years back I shot right handed guns since the start. The one issue that I have run into is that if you are going to get LH then all his guns should be LH. I have found that I forget about the safety once in a while when shooting a right handed gun. I also have looked at the bps and think that it is a good option. You get used to the RH guns and don't notice the shells going by your face but once you've got a LH firearm then you don't want to go back. imo
    Last edited by Qwa-honn; 09-09-2011 at 07:59 AM. Reason: forgot word

Quote Originally Posted by branthunter View Post
    Have him give a double a try. Some lefties (eg . my son) need the left mount for eye dominance but find the pumping with the left arm/hand awkward--- a problem which a double eliminates.
    My sugestion as well only try a O/U "single" barrel makes it much easier to sight than a SXS for those used to shooting already. Stoeger makes a good reasonable O/U.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Im right-handed in normal life. Left eye dominant. shoot left handed....I have a right handed 870 and have never had a problem with shells going across my face. dont even notice it to be honest with you