Thread: Decent enough

Decent enough

Went out with John and Russ both Saturday and Sunday. Saturday morning frost and all we set up overlooking a slightly flooded field that John had seen ducks in the day before. A little slow to start then it picked up and John started hitting a few mallards. I nailed a the first widgeon of the year, and Russ his first ever mallard, a drake. A handful of geese came into eyeball us and I dropped a huge one, man it was heavy.

Got a little too light for the cover we'd been using and the ducks were spotting us so we scuttled over into some deeper grass. That was a good move. More came and more dropped, including Russ's second drake mallard of the day. Too say he was pumped was an understatement. He volunteered to pack ALL the birds the 300 yards back to the truck ( don't think he'll do that again ) The day ended with a respectable 13 ducks and one huge-ass Canada goose, enough to deal with for one afternoon.

Merged the front/back pics of Russ with the Saturday morning haul.

John, Russ and Rayne the fat retriever with Saturday's birds.

Went out Sunday morning to a different spot, but it was slow, slow, slow. Didn't even hear any action from The Bay. We called it breakfast with each of us taking one duck. Didn't take any pics Sunday.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Decent enough

nice shooting!

looks like fun...going to have to add waterfowl to the "to do" hunting list.

congrats on the lot!
    -Tikka T3 Lite 270 WSM
    -Browning Xbolt 300 WM
    -Marlin 1895 GS 45-70

Good shoot Sat.
    I must be getting real deaf now I don't remember hearing you shooting???
    Cheers------Field Marshal.

Good shooting guys! Glad to see Russ is getting involved in the hunting, it's addicting!
    Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF

hey nice shootin.
    I still need to shoot a canada this year.
    "you know there are a lot of mountain bikers in the area" she looked at me weird when I said back to her " Thats fine, I'm not hunting mountain bikers today" Brambles

Nice shooting!! nothing like cheeks and lards!

Nice to see the young fellow getting birds----brings back special memories of when my son was that age. Hope I'm still at it when my new grandson gets old enough.

Good shooting guys and gals!.. Any day out-of-doors is a great day..Looks like a successful day in my books..Thanks for sharing Tanya..

Thanks guys. Russ seems to be enjoying the hunting thing, and is now taking the CORE manual to school for silent reading time He was quite excited to get the mallards, to him they are "the duck" to hunt. And, yes it does bring back memories of when our boys were that age and they'd join us along with some of their friends for mornings in the blind. They are now out of their teens, and although they still hunt, we don't get out together as much any more with their own social and work lives being busy. So, their little cousin is following their footsteps now that he's part of our household.