Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do you hunt?

Re: Why do you hunt?

Learning to hunt for the reasons I first stated was educational and character-affirming.

Since becoming a husband, father, homeowner, I've had other priorities to the time and money required to hunt as avidly as I once did. I still kill animals in a legal fashion, and I hope it mitigates death anxiety in my children (something shamefully prevalent these days) but I fear my involvement and investment in hunting has peaked and shall only decline.

I urge all HBCers to remain armed, active, and harvest as much wild meat as possible. Maintain a non-government, non-affirmative-action presence in the wilderness as much as possible, to preserve and continue a great heritage.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    ....i dont buy ** fish ..its like buying your stolen tools back from a crack head..

It’s about memories now for me, 2021 hunting season will be my 42nd season. Started hunting ducks with Dad, in 1979. Got my first rifle that year for my birthday, and still hunt with it for most applications.
    it’s like a virus that there is no cure from, but that’s a good thing.
    I just love being in the bush with rifle in hand.

I also have been hunting for over 40 years. Yes lots of memories about hunting with my father but I just love getting out there. I certainly hope we will never loose these opportunities

No antibiotics, growth hormones, steroids or unknown chemicals in the wild meat or fish I harvest. Just a little mercury in the fish..
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Its all ive ever known. Grew up with hunting and fishing, camping and hiking. Some people watch hockey and play Golf.
    My dad mate it his mission to teach me about the outside, Started with hunting.

Why I keep hunting will never be able to be told to a non hunter in one conversation. Like many people its not just for meat. ive grown up trying to answer that question to non hunters and anti hunters.... No one gets it.
    "How could you love an animal and then kill it?" They will never know... because its a feeling. one you dont "Get" you earn it.

to stay connected to mother earth...

Quote Originally Posted by tigrr View Post
    No antibiotics, growth hormones, steroids or unknown chemicals in the wild meat or fish I harvest. Just a little mercury in the fish..
    Theres all of that in everything else you eat, lol. That hardly makes any difference? Am I the only one who think so? I might be wrong, but if you eat 1 organic thing and 70 other non-organic things, I dont think your body really cares.

Not to mention hunting for health reasons then eating bears with likely trichinosis is one of the most backwards points I hear hunters bring up.

DNA and conditioning I guess.

He hunted, his maternal uncles hunted (his dad was urban) and previous generations hunted, there is some indigenous heritage, etc.

From the first time I saw my dad bring a deer home at the age of two I thought "I want to do that."
    Last edited by MichelD; 02-01-2021 at 11:05 AM.

I like the chase and getting out in the woods, it’s a life style. For me getting some meat in the freezer is a bonus but I don’t ever Pull the trigger just to fill the freezer. if it was just about filling the freezer i would buy meat from the store much cheaper per lbs. I love the thrill of the hunt and being out in nature.

Back in the start of my hunting it was to shoot shit. 1980 with a pellet gun shooting grouse,squirrels, magpies, starlings,crows,the odd porcupine and a robin or 2 that got my ass booted by dad's work boot.
    The mid teens was to shoot shit and hang out with the old man and his buddies. Great stories and good times for a impressionable young man that learned alot from the old timers, even some stuff that was hunting related. It was always interesting to see what was around the bend or the other side of the ridge.
    Adulthood was much the same except not enough time or money to hunt as much but was much the same thing. Shoot stuff, camaraderie and the same old question of what's over that ridge and around that corner.
    Parenthood meant less time hunting and more time trying to make ends meet. Then comes the preteens and the passion ignites again. The smiles on their faces when out with dad is priceless. 4 generations hunting together counting my great uncle is awesome. The kids and the old boys want to shoot stuff now, dad not so much lol. Still the age old question of what's around that corner or over that ridge.
    Along comes middle age. The kids are doing their thing which includes making their way thru life and the old timers have passed on what they could and are now fond memories. It is nice to go back to the old haunts and remember the days gone. Seems now a guy looks for any excuse not to shoot stuff including leaving the shells for the rifle in the truck. Finally getting the time and the loot to pursue my passion but have since figured out what's around that corner or over that ridge. So you go looking for new ridges and corners. The quest has taken me to other parts of the country where I got to experience one of my mentors and long time family friend shoot a moose of a lifetime and share the joys and tears of such a feat, share the experience of my brother shooting his 2nd and 3rd big game animal (pronghorn antelope and a 150" whitetail). I've hunter hosted the wife's nephew and his buddy from the island on numerous times and the smiles on their faces taking another first whitetail and a bull elk. Hunter hosting my buddy from yellowknife and being present for his excitement at end of nov rutting whitetail hunt. The experience of hunting with a veteran of multiple tours of afganistan and the ups and downs he had on his bull elk quest (seen bulls everyday, they were even licking the salt of his truck lol).
    I suppose we all have our reasons to hunt and to summarize mine would be the camaraderie, friendship and family togetherness along with seeing what's around that corner and over that ridge.
    Last edited by Norwestalta; 02-01-2021 at 12:08 PM.