Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do you hunt?

Re: Why do you hunt?

Quote Originally Posted by lorneparker1 View Post
    The link above approaches my thoughts on the subject. The part about giving back more than you take sure made me think. I guess I give through my license/tag fees or one could donate to the ducks unlimited. I would be curious to know how others give back like volunteering at fish hatchery or habitat restoration or ?. I think this is a sign of a very mature person who has some really solid values and respect. "Anybody can put on a camo hat and blast some creatures and call themselves hunters." Takes alot more to live up to the statement that you give back more than you take.

It is a Deep question for me - hunting/fishing and gathering is soul food. My church is in the woods or out in the boat. It reminds me of how delicate the balance of life is, to respect all living things (even those nastey humans), to approach life from a meek and humble perspective as really our individual lives are pretty insignificant in the big picture of the world.
    Last edited by dawn2dusk; 11-04-2010 at 03:48 PM.
    CT90's rule

Meat mostly and alone time a close second lol.

There is justified pride and satisfaction in eating and wearing what I went out to find, kill and process myself. I earned by working for it directly - like sewing your own clothes, fixing your own car, or planting your own garden. In the same way that prostitution is comparable to marital relations, microwaving a TV dinner is comparable to hunting.

Also, going out by myself into the mountains for a week builds character and strengthens mental fortitude, forcing me to be self-reliant and accept risk and hardship as part of life. It is self-evident that these lessons are lacking in society today.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    ....i dont buy ** fish ..its like buying your stolen tools back from a crack head..

All of the above :P

Meat, thrill of the hunt and the great outdoors.

I'm not one to go out and protest, but I'm not one for farmed... well... anything. Everything that is done to mass produce meat and vegetables only degrades the nutritional value. The unfortunate part, is farming is necessary in order for the weak to survive.

I'll hunt for as long as I can, and eventually I'll grow my own greens.

1) Excellent, free range (aka..no antibiotics/growth hormones/steroids/chemical) meat
    2) The challenge of trying to outsmart a wild critter.
    3) The comraderie/friendships that you build when you hunt with someone.
    4) The pride I feeel that I am putting food on my family table...I am a provider .
    5) The scenic beuaty that a lot of others don't even notice as they just drive by the highways in their rat race life.
    6) The in your face things you see, that most never see, unless its on the Discovery Channel/Animal Planet (animal behaviour).
    7) The exercise and fresh air that comes with hunting.
    Relaxation from the usual stressors (work etc) that usually just drift away when you are hunting.
    9) The peace and tranquility of being able to sit and just observe. Also a great place to think through any issues/problems you are having, coming to a possible solution....
    10) The challenge/concentration needed to make a clean, humane one shot kill, when the situation presents itslef (be it a bow or rifle)..

Other than those 10 reasons, I hate it...
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

I like to be outside and enjoy the challenge involved in getting good quality animals for clients. Oh yeah can't forget I get paid to do it!

I enjoy the outdoors but actually thinking of quitting hunting, doesn't turn the ol' crank that much anymore and the family doesn't eat the meat.
    I enjoy it but really if no one eats it then whats the point?
    May see a fire sale from me soon!
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...

Quote Originally Posted by browningboy View Post
    I enjoy the outdoors but actually thinking of quitting hunting, doesn't turn the ol' crank that much anymore and the family doesn't eat the meat.
    I enjoy it but really if no one eats it then whats the point?
    May see a fire sale from me soon!
    Find different ways of preparing meat, such as jerky, pepperoni, etc. I was in your shoes and now the family can't get enough. If they are vegans ignore this post

Quote Originally Posted by dabat View Post
    Find different ways of preparing meat, such as jerky, pepperoni, etc. I was in your shoes and now the family can't get enough. If they are vegans ignore this post
    If they are vegans get a divorce and don't ask for custody.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricDyck View Post
    ....i dont buy ** fish ..its like buying your stolen tools back from a crack head..

Quote Originally Posted by dabat View Post
    I do bud trust me, maybe the butchers just suck here.. They aren't vegans, they just buy steaks as they don't enjoy wild game etc... It's a funny situation.
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...