Thread: 7B; Soft ten in the rut vs any bull moose

7B; Soft ten in the rut vs any bull moose

Hi all,

Last Sept/October I spent a week in 7B looking for a tri-palm, ten point or spike fork moose. Came on or called in 6 bulls, but none of them were legal.

Got me wondering what people think of going out in August for the any bull in 7B, doing spot and stalk or sitting licks, vs going and calling in the antler-restricted rut?

Not sure how rare soft-ten bulls are, is 0 for 6 pretty standard, or did I have a bad draw last year. Are there strategies for finding the bigger bulls, like going more remote, higher up?

Look forward to people's input

umos

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 7B; Soft ten in the rut vs any bull moose

we went 0-7 this year, but it was fun! Nothing like calling in bull moose!

Look at it this way, at least with the 2/3/10 rule you can hunt every year. Can't so that with a draw.

There is rumours that the Aug season will be shortened or closed for a lot of 7B. Just like we saw new areas closed for the rut; pushing more people into less and less area. Soon we will be going to a BS draw with the same closed areas for the rut.

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

Wished they would close the any bull or maybe for youth only season
    Quote Originally Posted by Sitkaspruce View Post
    we went 0-7 this year, but it was fun! Nothing like calling in bull moose!

Look at it this way, at least with the 2/3/10 rule you can hunt every year. Can't so that with a draw.

There is rumours that the Aug season will be shortened or closed for a lot of 7B. Just like we saw new areas closed for the rut; pushing more people into less and less area. Soon we will be going to a BS draw with the same closed areas for the rut.

Cheers

SS
    KEEP SHOOTING OR SHOOT A BIG GUN!!!!
    IF YOU DON'T HUNT YOU AINT RIGHT IN THE HEAD!!!!!!!!!
    A SCREAMING ELK THERE'S NOTHIN BETTER!!!!!!
    KNOW WHEN TO KEEP THE WIFE OUT OF MY HUNTING SPOTS !!!!!!!!!!

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

Quote Originally Posted by leadpillproductions View Post
    Wished they would close the any bull or maybe for youth only season
    Keep wishing for closed seasons, and guess what you will get!! CLOSED SEASONS!!!!
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

If you are local, and know where the bulls hang out, any bull works well, but from my experience, I would choose the rut every time. If you are travelling up to 7B to hunt, your best advantage is to be able to call a bull in. We called in several this year and not a single one was legal, but they are out there. We had one charge right in and what an experience it was. pulled out a 7x7 elk on the hunt and when everyone else was sleeping in from that, I went for a drive, happened upon a spike fork, and shot it. You can't do that in the early season when elk is still closed. Your opportunity should go up when you have a bunch of different species to hunt. Something to think about.

A lot of 7b is closed for moose during the rut Oct 1 - 15
    Last edited by huntingfamily; 02-01-2021 at 10:41 PM.