Thread: Tips for my 1st Cowichan Valley Grouse Hunt

Question Tips for my 1st Cowichan Valley Grouse Hunt

Hello all. Well I finally have some time this week to go for my first Grouse hunt (first hunt of any kind actually) in the Cowichan Valley. So I am looking for hunting tips and some possible places to start. I will be using a Savage MK II .22 and I want to do some hiking as well. So any tips and advice anybody can send my way will be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by WoollyBullets; 11-01-2010 at 10:01 PM. Reason: to add an icon

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Tips for my 1st Cowichan Valley Grouse Hunt

Go out early and stay till dark. Find yourself some old logging roads and drive them. Dont just bomb around mainlines.

Gordon, Caycuse or Nitnat

Quote Originally Posted by 835 View Post
    Go out early and stay till dark. Find yourself some old logging roads and drive them. Dont just bomb around mainlines.

Gordon, Caycuse or Nitnat

x2 stick with the old roads way better then the mainline, if you come across alot of crap on the road (looks like tiny goose crap) walk into the bush a bit, they're normally not too far away.

Thanks guys.

Well I got out today for my first official grouse hunt out Gordon River then across to Caycuse. I found a gated road then went for about a 3 hr return hike. Did not see anything on the way up but on the way back down I did. Just as I realized I was looking at a Grouse I reached for my rifle and it flew away. Oh well better luck next time I hope. It was an awesome day for a hike though.

Well, keep at it....... And get faster!