Thread: My first ducks

My first ducks

Went out hunting deer this morning and after only seeing does and a sudden blizzard ontop of the mountain i decided to go lower and while looking down the hillside i noticed some ripples in a large pond,
    I thought it was fish jumping but upon looking through the binos i saw ducks landing,
    so i headed down and me and the dog quietly walked up to the pond through the trees,
    just as we got to the pond the ducks noticed the dog and took off, i shot all 3 rounds and the first two shots took out ducks but the third was miss,
    i sent billy into the water and he went straight for the one duck that was still alive, but it dove under just as he got to it, and he circled around a few times before coming back but it surfaced again and he heard it and turned around this time catching it before it could dive.

just as he dropped it the rest of the ducks suddenly came back to the pond and flew right past me, managed to get 1 round in the gun and fire but they were too quick and i missed again.

next duck was dead and not moving and billy didnt see it, i threw rocks and sticks towards it but he didnt want to get in the water again as it was frozen around the edges and snowing out.

i stripped down and started walking out into the pond when billy jumped in and swam right to the duck.... woosie dog doenst like cold water.

so now i have my first two ducks and the dog did his first water retrieve.
    pretty pumped and just finished eating the ducks, delicious duck leek potato soup, perfect after freezing my ass off all day.

now i am hooked im going after ducks whenever i get a break from deer hunting (cant seem to find any this year except the odd doe)

2. Site Sponsor

Re: My first ducks

The Ringnecks are my favorite divers for eating!
    Always fat and never into the fish.
    Good shooting youngfella.
    Cheers Field Marshal.

YUP!! gotta love the ringers.

good eats for sure
    a bad day hunting is awwwwwwww who cares as long as your hunting.

do you always pack steel shot while deer hunting?
    FULLY AUTOMATIC MANURE FLINGER

Nice shooting!

yep, i always pack #2 steel and BB shot in my backpack,
    and they were great eating both kids loved the soup but the wife hated it, doesnt like ducks guess i need to get some more