Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 3-20 moose story

3-20 Odd moose story - with questions

In 3-20 yesterday with my daughter. We drove, walked and still hunted, saw nearly Nada. Left BBY at 3:30 am , got back at 11:45 pm. Long day.

7th time out and very little seen, nothing on the ground.
    But this is not the point of this thread, read on.

Coming out after dark, I see a pick-up down a little spur, see a fella in the back and something told me to stop and inquire, so I did. I asked him if he got one, and when he replied he did , asked if he needed help, gratefully he said yes, so we spun the Colorado around and Emily and I hopped out to assist.

The whole family was there, Dad (Caucasian)was in the back, Mom red haired and in her mid 30's, young teen son and little guy (6) plus... curiously "grandpa" a native in his 60's. ( there is a point coming read on)

So I am assuming we are about to see a Muley, asked where it was... turns out to be piled up about 70' down the bank off the road. I mention I have a 100' of rope and get the roll from my truck.

Coming back to help I ask how many points the buck is only to find it ain't a deer but a moose. Spike are open there so I assume as I am laying the rope down to the animal that I am about to see a nice young bull.

On the way down the bank I smell the slight but pungent smell of weed... not impressed about this Emily is with me (kinda like taking her to the local park in Vancouver), but continue on to the animal.

I am surprised to find a big cow, gutted and headless, I comment wow you had a tag? Grandpa said "yep sure do the best kind, perma tag, I am native"... he was.

Fair enough, I am no expert on the native rights for moose hunting, so I help them tie her up and we pull the cow to the road. All the time though I am trying to figure this out, how, is this a Caucasian family with a Native grand pa? Is it my business to press the issue? Couple minutes later we lift her into the back of the pickup. Tight fit but we made it.

They told me there was a big calf with this cow...it ran off, the cow was also pregnant with next years calf. This one harvest took a toll, I think the calf won't make it, hard winter coming, then there is the fetus...

Turns out to be a nice family and obviously they are glad for the meat. The 6 year old reminded me of the young boy from "Oh brother where art thou" The one that drove the truck from the barn using blocks on the peddles, he was a hoot! ... but I digress...

While Grandpa did not come out and volunteer information on his relationship, he said one comment about "loving to hunt and help families get their meat". Several hours later on the highway home the potential of his comment dawned on me. Do people ask natives to get game outside of the rules? Could this be what I stumbled across, and helped load in the truck? Why did I not think to write down the license # of their truck? Must have been the 21 hour day I was working on.

Can Native hunters can take what they want and where they want, and do not have to cut a tag or report the harvest... how can we plan the harvests for future years?

Anyhow, let me know if I was out of line to help load their Moose, or if this is just a normal aspect of hunting that as a new hunter I am unaware.

Please note the complete lack of racial tension in this post,( would like to keep it this way if possible) I am just communicating what happened and asking for feedback.

Thanks Jim.
    Last edited by JAFA; 10-31-2010 at 12:34 PM.
    Don't outsmart your common sense.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 3-20 moose story

I spoke with a native guy recently.He said that you could go up to near 100 mile (or slightly north ) and "get" a moose with the natives for $1200 bucks.sounds like theres a lot of people takin em up on it.

Jim;

Sounds real fishy to me and you are right in questioning what you experienced; I would also.

Dropping a pregnant cow in an area that does not have an open cow/calf season at the time sounds real bad.

My personal opinion of the situation as described....."legalized" poaching.

These are not hunters.

I hope your daughter was not bothered by the situation.

Good luck on the rest of your hunting season.

Gunsmoke
    ...shoot straight and shoot high.......

First I would like to thank you for your very well worded write up.

First nations people in canada do have the right to hunt all year round in their traditional territory. For sustance.

It is also very hard to tell someones nationality by looks, I have some native friends that are whiter than i am.

I would have done the same as you and helped.

However it is always wise to record time date place license plate numbers and a brief discription of those involved to cover your own butt, No matter who or what the story is.

There are good and bad hunters and ethicaly challenged ones of all nationalities.

PS obvisouly if you know its illegal record info from a distance and do not get involved.
    Some people call them hunting hounds, I call them cross country sight seeing guides

From page 7 of the regs

"Indians who are residents of BC and wish to hunt outside their traditionally-used areas must do so in accordance with the Hunting Regulations.This includes making application for a LEH authorization via the LEH draw."

So as long as this was "grandpa's" traditional hunting area he is probably within his rights to take a moose for himself, (so long as it isn't protected).

"Any hunting of wildlife species for sale or barter, in whole or in part, is not legal, except as authorized by regulation or where there is a demonstrated aboriginal or treaty right to do so."
    Last edited by afors; 10-31-2010 at 01:31 PM.
    Ridgedale Rod And Gun Club

Would have been fun to hear what the 6 yr old would say when asked
    'who shot the moose ?'
    Myself, I would have left as soon as I realized what was on the ground.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    Would have been fun to hear what the 6 yr old would say when asked
    'who shot the moose ?'
    Myself, I would have left as soon as I realized what was on the ground.

me too , not judging your actions , just saying...

This situation is not a new was happening in Burns Lake some yrs ago too and very likely many other areas. The sad part is the dirt bags supporting this crap are the problem. If you can offord 1200$ for a moose then buy a farm raised cow for less. 1200$ for a moose better come with a happy ending too!!

Remember if you use this as an excuse as to your limited hunting for moose and " There all gone attitude. " You will be the first to be scratched off hunting not grandpa so think b4 saying these things because most people back aboriginal sustainance gathering already world wide and hunters should not back themselves into corners when painting Status with a wide brush .. Status Indians who are real btw.
    Jel .. Non-Status will be cut -back first so be careful the doubt and wondering about something you know very little about imho leave it alone or on PM's or phone your local INAC ..or BC Union of Indian Chiefs or MOE.
    Last edited by Jelvis; 10-31-2010 at 01:54 PM.

"Leave it alone" I think that is the government's Mission statement on these issue's BA HA HA HA!!!!