Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Day two with Field marshal and myself

Day two with Field marshal and myself

So here we are day two in the blind, so far 3 mallards, one pintail, 3 big geese and 3 smaller geese pictures to follow when we get home.

The ducks have totally shut down and the small geese are the majority for what's flying today. Still waiting for the weather to turn as its supposed to get nasty this afternoon.
    Member of the Following Organizations:

BCWF

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Day two with Field marshal and myself

now that sounds like a superb way to start a sunday, can't wait to see some pics

Ok two limits of geese on the ground, 4 larger birds and 6 medium to small. Now working on ducks. 4 mallards and a pintail so far pics to follow when I get home.

BCWF

Heard you guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya View Post
    Heard you guys!
    Heard a few shots coming your way this morning as well. Any luck? You seeing the small guys?

BCWF

OK so here is how the day unfolded. Last night I gave field Marshal a call and told him I still wasn't feeling very good and not sure if I should go out on Sunday. Well we thought about it for a few minutes and it was supposed to be nasty and we figured the birds would be really working the spread so I decided to give it a go and worst case we could pick up early.

Soon as legal time came around we had a flock of 7 ducks and they circled and circled and circled and circle, dropping altitude with every pass. Finally we said next pass take them. They come around and I fire the first shot at the two lead birds and they both fall, I manage a third before they're out of view behind some bushes. 2 shots 3 birds, a good start to the morning. The two first birds were easy marks but there was a third that fell out of view so I got out of the blind to help put the dog in the location. Just as I got out of the blind a pintail skirts the spread and Field Marshall plugs him before I knew what was going on, the dog sees the bird drop and runs out to retrieve it. On the way back he stumbles on the third mallard we were looking for in the first place and spits out the scrawny pintail and grabs the mallard. . I pick up the pintail and we head back into the blind.

The next birds to visit are a mix of smaller geese flying together. We both take a poke and two birds hit the ground. We had a sailer and Marshall and I took to the chase. Once we got to within a 50 yards of the bird Marshall finally zeroed in and took off like a rocket and chased the bird down, it couldn't fly but it was making good speed trying to. I just stood there and caught my breath as the dog was closing the distance and finally knocked him down about 150 yards out from me.

The morning was amazingly slow for ducks and all we were seeing were flocks of small geese.

The next flock we see are the big guys, Field Marshall gives them a bit of a flag and they cup their wings and work their way into the landing zone we provided for them. We manage to cut 3 big honkers out of that flock, Field Marshall making a double with his over and under and me scratching one as I got caught up in the moment and found myself flock shooting instead of picking out a bird.

A few minutes later another flock of smaller geese skirt the decoys and field Marshal manages to cut one out of the flock, the angle was bad and I tried but nothing this time around for me.

Again more small geese this time they're out front and wings cupped. We scratch another pair. Marshall brings the first bird back to me and I send him for the second. The second one turns out to be a beautiful specimen and will be going on the wall.

About 20 minutes later another flock of small geese presents itself again at a bad angle and I manage to hit one and again it went down but not hurt so bad, the chase was on and I was out of breath finally the dog locks in to the bird and gets him just before it crosses a road and into someone's back yard. The dog starts to make his way back towards me when a flock of 2 Giant Canada's and some smaller bird pick up from another field and fly by me at about 20 yards out and maybe 20 feet up. One more bird to finish off the limit so I give the lead bird a bit of extra lead so I don't accidentally hit the ones behind him and pull the trigger and the big guy tumbles to the ground. The dog runs up to him and spits the little guy out and the chase is back on, well for me anyways. This time though the goose gave up as soon as I got to within 25 yards of the bird he just laid flat with it's neck to the ground.

We sat around for a while hoping more ducks would pay us a visit but it wasn't meant to be. We had 3 cacklers drop right into the spread and started feeding and then we had probably somewhere around 200 mix sizes of geese come into the field. It was amazing just to watch them as they came in flock after flock after flock. We finally decided it was time to call it a day and start packing up. It was an awesome way to spend a Sunday morning even thought those little buggers were frustrating as hell to try and get into the decoys.

The battery had died on my good camera so these were taking from my Iphone, I have to say they came out somewhat decent.

I just charged the battery on my camera and got a picture of the different size geese we managed to get this morning. Were not used to seeing the different varieties of birds on the Island, not sure what's going on this fall but things are different this fall for sure.

Last edited by Marc; 10-31-2010 at 02:36 PM.

BCWF

Great looking hunt Marc. Way to get a few cacklers on the ground.

Nice shooting!

good goin' guys 2 good days in a row.....k.k..
    FULLY AUTOMATIC MANURE FLINGER

Quote Originally Posted by kyleklassen@live.ca View Post
    good goin' guys 2 good days in a row.....k.k..
    It has been two amazing days, been playing injured both days with a nasty headache and stomach flue but a man has to make some sacrifices sometimes to make his dog happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy_Farmer View Post
    Great looking hunt Marc. Way to get a few cacklers on the ground.
    It's been great getting in to them, neat little birds. My wife is going to kill me when she finds out I've gone into her pantyhose drawer and cut up a pair of new ones to put over the bird.

BCWF