Thread: My custom rifle (sort of)

My custom rifle (sort of)

Built on a 1941 98 Mauser (byf) action chambered for 25-06 AI, 26" Douglas Premium barrel, Timney trigger, North American walnut stock with cocobolo fore end tip, grip cap and butt plate.
    The stock is my work and checkering is done by old Joe in North Vancouver and some of the metal work is also mine, like bolt handle, trigger guard, fitting the safety, bolt release and smoothing the action.

Last edited by wildcatter; 01-16-2011 at 07:45 PM.
    WLM
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it. - Clint Eastwood
    "Lots of critters to still shoot. And there'll be no quitters until we bag some critters" - 180grainer
    "Politicians should wear sponsor jackets like Nascar drivers, then we know who owns them" - Robin Williams

Flush the Turd!

Located and residing on the unceded territory of European Settler's traditional land.
    Click here to learn more 🖕

2. Site Sponsor

Re: My custom rifle (sort of)

Very classy unit

Quote Originally Posted by Old Crow View Post
    Very classy unit
    Thanks Old Crow,
    It was alot of work but well worth it.
    I enjoy carrying, fits my hand perfectly, though I haven't shot anything yet, but it's coming.
    WLM
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it. - Clint Eastwood
    "Lots of critters to still shoot. And there'll be no quitters until we bag some critters" - 180grainer
    "Politicians should wear sponsor jackets like Nascar drivers, then we know who owns them" - Robin Williams

Flush the Turd!

Located and residing on the unceded territory of European Settler's traditional land.

nice looking rifle. mauser actiions are hard to beat. like the calibre as well. good luck
    Resident hunter and proud of it!

wow, very nice , the checkering looks excellent , congrats on your project , look forward to your first harvest story with it

cool, nice cartridge too.
    -Lightweight gunaholic
    -Half of a Human Pinata
    -Bear Kung-Fu Master
    -Gatherer of the Elk meat

Awesome job on the stock. It looks like Mahogany in some of those pics. I am planning a custom stock for my 1894 Winnie. It will be out of Teak but I am a bit apprehensive as I am not sure where to start.
    Last edited by Th0r; 10-31-2010 at 03:49 PM. Reason: add
    Shoot first, answer questions later.

Quote Originally Posted by Th0r View Post
    Awesome job on the stock. It looks like Mahogany in some of those pics. I am planning a custom stock for my 1894 Winnie. It will be out of Teak but I am a bit apprehensive as I am not sure where to start.
    Th0r, believ it or not this was my first stock from start to finish, mind you I restored a couple before.
    I used to do more gunsmithing metal work, but I really like to work with wood.
    It's walnut but I applied countless coats of oil and rubbed it in well, maybe that's why it looks like mahagony and it's a good piece of wood as well, however I will do a few more coats.
    The checkering pattern I saw on a picture a few years ago and drew it for Joe onto the stock and he did a nice job.
    The action I bought from Castle Armory way back when old Fred used to work there.
    I went through about 200 actions down in their basement before picking this one.

Yeah, I can't wait to bag something with it, hopefully soon.
    Last edited by wildcatter; 11-28-2010 at 12:27 PM.
    WLM

Flush the Turd!